Kitchen sockets

Not sure that this would be ideal in a kitchen, I'd expect muck to collect in the "track" and be difficult to clean. I don't think much of the appearance either.

Reply to
newshound

Run the cable in a horizontal line with the sockets so you can add more any time in future more easily. Even if you blitz the place with sockets it wont be enough one day.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Only God is perfect. It's the deliberate mistake you incorporated to avoid imitating the deity.

Reply to
stuart noble

/Good idea.

I'd have mine nearer the toilet though :-)

Owain/q

I expect he's a sitter ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

/Run the cable in a horizontal line with the sockets so you can add more any time in future more easily./q

Remembering to leave enough slack to actually make it practical?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Very true. I've found drawing out never quite works in practice, so I tiled the bottom few rows above the worktop ("subway" tiles in a stretcher bond layout) and then mounted the back boxes so I could line them up precisely w ith the tiles. This is the sort of thing DIYers can do. When you have separ ate trades and "fixes" it's not so easy - you can't really go sparky, tiler , bring sparky back - who damages tiles, bring tiler back, etc ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

No - run conduit between them - then you can simply rethread to the adjacent 2 sockets if you need to break in.

Reply to
Tim Watts

/No - run conduit between them - then you can simply rethread to the adjacent 2 sockets if you need to break in. /q

Now that makes a lot more sense.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I'm still amazed why conduit - at least 20mm oval - isn't used as standard.

Does it take any more time to fix than capping?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Snag is unless a very short run can be near impossible to add extra cables. Different matter if using proper conduit and proper conduit cable

- ie singles.

Who uses that anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When we did our old kitchen, we used sockets and lights that fitted at

45deg in the corner between the wall and wall-mount eye-level cupboards. Nice neat walls, piss-easy to wire, and dead easy to use.

but others will be available.

I'd most certainly use them again.

Reply to
Adrian

Must be messy in use though, leads trailing down from the upper cupboards.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

no need. Unless you're incapable of using connector blocks.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Everyone who wants their cables to be unsliced when the plasterer's been and gone...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not at all. They're just a little higher than wall sockets would be. Down- and-across to the kettle/toaster/etc, instead of just across.

Reply to
Adrian

/no need. Unless you're incapable of using connector blocks./q

Fingers crossed the back boxes are deep enough....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

If not:

Tim Watts

if not, solder. Its not difficult

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I thought it must but a strain on the cables due to the angle and gravity. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Even easier if you run maxi-trunking flush in the wall and tile over it. Then you only have to cut the tile and open up an aperture into the trunking rather than having to cut out back boxes in a tiled wall.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog