Kitchen sink and electrical sockets - what do regs say?

Hi all

I'm having an argument with someone about how close to a kitchen sink you can place an electrical socket. From my understanding of previous posts in this ng, there is no specific minimum distance; it's all about minimising risk of splashing etc - but that NICEIC suggest a distance of

30 cm as 'guidance'?

Is that about right... can anyone give me chapter and verse on this, preferably from an online source?

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

That sounds about right. There is a general requirement that accessories chosen are appropriate for the circumstances in which they are installed, but not hard and fast distances.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John. But in the absence of a copy of the 16th edn, do you know where I can verify the info sort-of officially (online?) I feel "a bloke on t'internet" probably won't cut the mustard ;-)

I have a copy of Whitfield's guide, but can't find any mention in there.

ISTR NICEIC used to have something on their site, but all I can find now is a plug for their book of FAQs, including - surprise, surprise - "How close can a socket outlet be to a kitchen sink?" (unanswered!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Is

any use or is it just more vague "bloke on the internet" stuff? (I ask as I don't know the ECA's status and am too close to opening the bottle to research it just now: I only happened to have come across the site earlier today.)

Reply to
Robin

I think that'll do nicely! Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

Found:

How close to a sink/basin can a socket outlet be located? BS 7671 does not specify any minimum distance for socket-outlets to be from a sink. Regulation 512-06-01 requires external influences be considered when selecting equipment for a particular location. The Regulation requires all equipment to be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used. Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. It is recommended that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are unlikely to be splashed.

EricP

It is tricky to find something to prove a negative... other than "here read BS7671, see not there was it?"

Reply to
John Rumm