Kitchen Self-fit help.

I've been trawling the web, looking for a downloadable/printable (prefferably .pdf) guide to fitting a kitchen. So far no joy. There doesn't even seem to be a semi-useful site out there anywhere...

Anyone know of one that they can pass on to me?

Thx

Reply to
betterspud

anywhere...

Speak to your kitchen supplier, they may have an installation guide.

Reply to
StealthUK

MFI supply a surprisingly large guide to fitting when you order a kitchen off them.

In any case, the fitting is really quite obvious.

  1. First fix electrics. (i.e. run cables)
  2. First fix plumbing. (i.e. run pipework)
  3. Assemble the flat pack units. Cut out utility channels.
  4. Bolt units to the wall and each other.
  5. Cut, install and carefully level worktops.
  6. Install sink.
  7. Tile.
  8. Second fix plumbing. (i.e. connect taps)
  9. Second fix electrics. (i.e. attach sockets/switches)
  10. Install appliances.
  11. Install doors.
  12. Mitre and install plinths/pelmets/cornice.

Obviously, some variation/additions etc. may be required, such as flooring.

You can usually ignore the instructions for mounting wall units. The adjustable top fixings (if supplied) are good for aligning the units, but drill through rawlbolts usually provide a more accurate, stronger and more convenient anchorage than the screws and plugs provided for the main connection. There are additional complications if attaching to a stud wall, rather than masonry.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've found the supplied adjustable fixings to be very easy to use as well as strong, provided you have the right fixing into the wall.

Christian,

Are you suggesting that the rawlbolt is used instead of the supplied fittings? How do you attach these to the cupboards, especially as the backs are often fairly flimsy.

Reply to
deckertim

I use the adjustable top fittings and adjust them so that cupboard hangs well. The wall cupboards have a thick piece near the bottom, behind the flimsy back.

At this point, you are supposed to drill through this section, mark the wall, remove the cupboard, drill the wall, insert plug, replace cupboard and screw through into it.

Rather than this whole palaver, which usually ends up with the hole being

5mm to the left and much swearing, I prefer to keep the cupboard on the wall and drill with a (usually 10mm) masonry bit right into the wall (through 10mm hole in the wood prepared earlier). Then insert rawlbolt. It is more accurate and stronger.

I wouldn't rely on the flimsy adjustable fixings on their own. They are very useful for making fine adjustments, but I wouldn't trust them to hold up an entire full cupboard. Certainly the units I had required you to add additional fixings.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try this