Kitchen Planning - Larder Unit

Hi. I'm thinking about a 600mm wide larder unit in order to accommodate a combi microwave (CW) and maybe oven. If I use the larder unit space above the CW & Oven or just the CW, is there is an issue with emitted heat that would cause problems with canned food and packaged food?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

I have a drawer just above the oven used to keep oven etc bits in. That seems to keep the cupboard above that reasonably cool for tins and so on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting idea, thanks.

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

Why not a 600m oven+microwave housing?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that combination of a combi-microwave above an electric oven ok with regards to the heat generation?

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

yes, it seems to be what most kitchen outfits sell, fitted a B&Q one for my parents and no issue.

e.g

Andy Burns

The microwave and oven will have specs for clearance distances above and around. When I did something similar I put a false back on the cupboard above (so it was slightly shallower) and used the space behind as a "chimney" for heat to escape to the room - I did the same over the larder fridge too.

Reply to
nothanks

We?ve got a Combi oven/microwave with a fan oven under it. Above the Combi there is a cupboard and there is a drawer below the fan oven. Even when we?ve got both ovens going in fan oven mode (Xmas and similar family gatherings when we are cooking for a lot of people), I?ve never noticed either the cupboard or drawer getting warm.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Is an Appliance Unit different to a Tall Larder Unit?

Reply to
Arthur Ravenscroft

Different shelves and doors.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It will. With microwaves most such gaps can be ignored, albeit at your own microscopic peril. Main air intake & outlet must not of course be blocked or short circuited.

Nukes don't run hot enough for long enough to affect tins in a cupboard above. A combi is another matter, as it is an oven as well as a nuke. If space is tight you might find a sheet of PIR insulation works - not tried it. Not polystyrene!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We have a fan-assisted electric oven in a unit with cupboards above it. I've put my hand on the shelf directly above the oven while it was running & it was barely above room temperature. I assume the oven itself is well-insulated for this reason.

Reply to
Adam Funk