kitchen mantlepiece

Anyone familiar with that 1920s style mantlepiece that is about 6 foot above the ground, about 4" thick, and used to have a coal burning stove under it? The brickwork below it protrudes about 9" from the chimney breast, and appears to have no function other than supporting the mantlepiece.

I'd like to remove it, and the brickwork below it, so that just the basic chimney breast remains (this would then be the same size as all the other breasts in the house). I can't see that there is anything structural involved but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done that thing.

Reply to
stuart noble