Kew Pressure Washer problem ... update

Thought I'd give an update in case it helps others.
The company that bought out KEW ... Nilfisk-Alko carry no spares at all for Kew. Apart from hoses & lances, nobody seems to stock parts for Kew ....a pity as it seems a substantially built machine ... large stainless steel water-cooled motor, multi-stage pump, rugged brass castings.
In my case the 'surging' was assumed to be the unloader valve, tripping at too early a pressure.
The screw head slot visible in picture ... did 'not' adjust the spring pressure, as it turns freely ............ you would have to insert a socket at other end of shaft to hold the nyloc nut while you turned the screwdriver ......... I didn't find that out until I stripped the valve.
The very large brass nut in the picture was undone ...and it took a huge amount of torque to get it out (and a big Stilsons) this then unscrews the unloader valve.
Once out I checked spring .. all seemed OK, I physically rotated the 'poppet' valve on it's seat, it sound a bit crunchy initially then OK ... could se nothing wrong ...... so reassembled .... and it is now working fine.
SWMB is now out using patio scrubber attachment and doing all the patio & paths (she enjoys it)
So it was the valve (thnx to those who explained how it worked) ... assume something was stuck or there was crud somewhere.
Hi happened to read half this thread (cuz I have one 2 days ago) as I had tried my cheapo plastic washer using my hobby hose. It stripped the threads as it blew the hose off! I tried it back on the Hobby and same deal - blew it off! The retaining plastic 'cap' was split and after much messing with jubilee clips I forced a 15mm water pipe union over the hose flange having file them both elliptical (worked) and found I had the same problem I was reading about. So here I am and really appreciate this thread. I will remove that big nut asap as I got the idea that the screw is not the adjuster as expected-right? or as it just loose? I have not used it for years and I recall baulking at the price of zinc oil even then. I have white creamy oil in there. Was the zoil red? Is it critical that I use zoil? Is an Hypoid gear oil okay? I think I had grit in the nozzle and having removed a 'u' shaped clip I removed it and it was better than my first initial jets. Whilst spitting it occasionally issued creamy water! Is that my oil contaminated and a suspect o ring? Nice to meet you all and I look forward to your answer. Thanks
Hi, I had it apart. I gave the screw a quarter turn. It was fairly stiff. I think it may have resulted in jet even more 'on'. Came back hoping for more info regarding screw. Brass screw is too stiff unless I find a way to remove the oil fill tube for clearance. I gave it a fair bit of antiCW torque but didn't want to crush it. Chrs. Anybody?
Took it all apart. Gave valve some manual compression as mentioned. Assembled...still pulses. Stretched spring to increase tension.....still pulsing. I may stretch further - weather permitting. Lonely in here.

Ok, cos ur lonely :) Don't have one, never used one. But have tinkered with my pressure washer... Can you not try and lubricate the part or does it need replacement. If it's metal, try leaving it to soak in petrol over night. Plastic? Then try silicone grease/ spray... They sell it for clipping guttering together and it's useful stuff... works wonderfully on curtain tracks ( top tip there)
Good luck. Deano
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfixbtinternetcom
On Saturday, 30 July 2011 17:36:28 UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:

for

as

at

et

ver

the

me

OK
have the same unit for years and have the same problems periodically. Just replace the 4 o ring and give it a good blow out with compressor. The resea l using good grease and high presto works every time. Done this about 4 tim es in the last 2 years . Good Luck Noel
On Saturday, 2 July 2011 21:03:47 UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:

nt

ll

On Saturday, 2 July 2011 21:03:47 UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:

nt

ll

Hi Rick. I have had the same type of problem that you are having down to a tee, For me I found the problem in the nozzle at the very end of the lance, I stripp ed it down and in the center there is a tiny hole that can be partially blo cked, I was Gob smacked because I thought the high pressure would have blow n any small blockage out but I was wrong in thinking that. lol I used what the call a Primus Pricker to clean out the hole also making sure the two li ttle flat jet control plates were not all bent to hell, Its all beyond me h ow that nozzle works but it did do the trick, For me I get that problem cro pping up about every couple of years but at least now I know what to do abo ut it, I sure do this helps you in your quest to solve your problem. Peter :-)
On 17/06/2014 20:40, snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk wrote:

Thanks for comment - but as it's same with 3 different end nozzles it must be something else .... I stripped out pressure head, cleaned all ... and it's better ,, surging only happens occasionally now.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:40:38 -0700, englishpeter wrote:

As the original post is dated 2011, I should think he's fixed it by now.
Why don't people who use Google Groups read the first line of posts where it shows the date of posting? I've just checked it's clearly visible. </rant>
--

TOJ.

The Other John wrote:

because they are the people who use google.
I was just going to say, surely by now the person has either fixed it orbought something else. anyone who puts up with a problem like that for several years must not really need to own a pressure washer!
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"F Murtz" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On 18/06/2014 09:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

Partially fixed it ... enough to get on with using it, when it surges .... last a few minutes then clears .... so strip down seems to have helped.

replying to Rick Hughes, David Evans wrote:

Many thanks for this post ....I have a 30 year old kew hobby pro and was about to dump it... then thought about recycling and reusing... so I found this site and fixed it. All I did was to turn the dump valve screw 1/4 turn clockwise and it goes well! I just need a new pressure gauge or find out if they are repairable?
replying to Rick Hughes, Andy2e0bns wrote: Lookingto find out what oil kew hobby pressure washers use
replying to Rick Hughes, Johnny Tan wrote: Hi, I had a similar problem with my KEW HOBBY 80. In my case, I solved this problem by servicing the nozzle of my lance. I found out that the nozzle had two sets of jets..one for the regular pressure bypassing the pump and the other at high pressure. I carefully cleaned out all the holes in the nozzle and recovered the high pressure jet,, YMMV Hope this helps. Incidentally, do you know where I can still find a fan for the KEW HOBBY 80?
Den lördag 2 juli 2011 kl. 22:03:47 UTC+2 skrev Rick Hughes:

nt

ll

I have a KewHobby 100 who works for around 4minutes then it sounds like the motor working harder and it stops. I switch it off and after a few minutes I can work for a minute or two before it repetes over and over again!
Is the motor overheated and a fuse disconnect it? No oil in the pumphouse?