"Unstored" timber? "VTHS"?

One of the timber merchants local to me recommended in one of my other threads (Where to buy timber?) is the East Kent Timber Company, just outside Canterbury. Their website is at

.

On the page devoted to Quality Softwood Joinery the timber is classified as two types: UNSTORED and VTHS. A bit of Googling suggests that the latter is actually "Vths" (ie 5ths or fifths) though I've not been able to find out exactly what that means as yet - but UNSTORED has me baffled, unless - and I've only just this moment thought of this - it means that they don't keep it in stock but have to get it in specially. Since the very same page talks about their "extensive stocks" this seems a tad unlikely.

I'd appreciate a translation of both terms. Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Try this

selection 1.html and following pages

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob,

So UNSTORED is actually a mistype for UNSORTED. Good grief. And in the case of that particular yard, the sizes I'm after (75x100mm and 75x150mm) are only available as unsorted.

Thanks for your help.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

And none of it means anything if you don't know where the timber comes from, an Upper Gulf 5th often being superior to a Lower Gulf unsorted. The "shipping marks", printed in red on the end grain should tell the whole story, but there is no official guide to allow you to decipher them.

Reply to
stuart noble

The site I've been looking at doesn't go into details.

Ah, I had the wrong wrong idea about that: I thought that any graded timber was automatically superior to any unsorted.

Thanks for the reply.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

It is graded - 4ths or better, it is just unsorted between those grades (which are never - or at least practically never - sold as individual grades).

Reply to
Bolted

Ah, right. Thanks very much.

Bert