Keep NewsGroups Alive

Keep NewsGroups Alive and Active

Reply to
Pizza

Yes, but a one line message is not going to impress people. The problem is that most use google to access them and news servers run by big organisations are getting thin on the ground. They do have a use despite all the spam and crossposting though, as they are seldom censored due to the way they work, unlike forums and web sites. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

As far as I am concerned the problem with newsgroups, of late, is the vitriol sent. If someone posts a comment that you disagree with then why do writers send nasty replies, often with unpleasant language?

Reply to
Broadback

+1

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I think this happens when the subject or topic is emotive and the people communicating are fanatical about said topic.

So, because this n/g is generally talking about general d-i-y related things, few are as fanatical about the use of one glue or paint over another so no hackles get raised.

Go onto a religious, political, OS or any n/g where it's all about peoples opinions and you will always find a minority who don't think 'other people' should have their own opinions and especially shouldn't air them in public (even if 100% true for that person).

So, IMHO I think this n/g should really stick to d-i-y related topics (even in the broadest sense, like the odd bit of PC or car / phone support) but should avoid any of the topics and especially when not directly related to d-i-y, like immigration.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Its a usenet tradition.

Flame wars preceded Star Wars.

Its a good way to let off steam.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if it causing people to leave newsgroups. Letting off steam is one thing but personal attacks using foul language it another!

Reply to
Broadback

Diddums.

Bless.

If you cant handle Usenet how on earth will you cope with Sharia Law?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The perpetrators invariably have trouble finding an audience anywhere else

Reply to
stuart noble

They were a bad idea then too.

Rubbish.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Broadback scribbled

You mean the fools who used to whine and claim "Chidren read these groups". Most of them had the IQ of a baked bean.

Reply to
Jonno

Where's your broad back, Broadback?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You mean you want this to be a Safe Space, like all the precious kiddywinks at Uni seem unable to exist without, these days? Fuck that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have it in one. Hence all the OT posts on this one. Which have destroyed many other groups and will soon do the same here.

The same pathetic types peddling the same pathetic political views. Appreciated only by their acolyites and trolls.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Huge

+1

I have noticed that the tone in this group has changed somewhat in the last few months. With some regular posters being more snappy and aggressive in responses, plus an increase of the more wildly off topic stuff. A little courtesy never hurt anyone!

I have no problem with the group accepting a certain amount of off topic content, or allowing threads to drift to off topic stuff - its just part of normal conversation. However some people now seem to post nothing but OT stuff. If it continues, they are going to end up posting to an audience of themselves only, and that will be one of the last renaming bits of usenet dead, which will be a shame.

Reply to
John Rumm

But then 'arry would have nothing to post about...

A significant increase. Sometimes it's hard to find the DIY related posts in amongst the off-topic ranting

I'm happy to killfile those repeat offenders who only shout about their idée fixe, but that's only a partial solution since otherwise sensible people tend to reply to those posts.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I find Thunderbird's Ignore Thread useful - also my "killfile" (TB does not have a traditional killfile but rather a more flexible rules engine) applies "ignore thread" to any banned users.

The only problem is Wodney's unabated morphing.

Reply to
Tim Watts
[snippage]

Some newsreaders have the ability to killfile any thread that a specified individual has posted into (using the References header.)

Reply to
Huge