Joist strength

...and you can set the switch so it sounds exactly like a Steinway. I am trying hard to persuade myself that I want one of these (rather than real piano) because of its ability to use headphones and not disturb others. But I am not persuaded.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

LOL! No, nor are we :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The Yamaha baby grand is supposed to be good.. I have never seen one myself.

My daughter has to put up with a cheap Korg piano and we still struggle for space. It sounds OK but its better if I connect my Yamaha synthbox to its MIDI. There are much better synths about including an add in card for mine that is supposed to be extremely good but I doubt if I could tell.

Reply to
dennis

As you suffer from someone who is pitch perfect I can see you having problems.. do you have your grand tuned frequently so it sounds excellent for a week or two a month or do you buy an electronic one that sounds OK, but not excellent, all the time?

I went for the electronic one and it fits in the car too.

Reply to
dennis

Does anybody (eg Tony) know if Superbeam will model such a system?

I'm still working on my shed, and Superbeam tells me that the 2x3 rafters at 2' centres aren't good enough to hold a heavy green roof. On the other hand, if I glue and screw 18mm Stirling board on top that helps quite a bit, and if I fit some thin ply underneath, that would help even more.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Actually the stress was a problem with 45x70mm beams (the actual size), but was OK with 45x88mm (assuming the OSB just adds 18mm to the thickness of the beam). I /think/ I can get away with that. a) I know that OSB will not be as strong in compression as C16 timber. b) I am relying on the screw + glue transferring the entire load

-but- c) I am not really adding a 45mm strip of OSB - I am adding a 590mm of the stuff (no, I don't think that will be 13 times as strong as a 45mm strip; but it ought to bring it up to C16 levels).

What I was hoping was that SuperBeam would be able to model such a composite structure - but I suppose it isn't a fully blown finite element modelling package (It certainly isn't priced like one ... though you wouldn't know that from the support service :-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Without checking out the calcs (am drowning under work ATM), most timber calculations result in the member being sized to keep the deflection within limits, and the standard limit (0.003 x span) is really to do with preventing damage to plaster finishes and stopping floors feeling uncomfortably springy (whilst being safe). If the calculation shows the applied bending stress as being less than the permissible then all should be OK.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I think I can confirm that from experience.. I have just built a shed and used 18mm ply glued to 25mm polystyrene glued to 6mm WBP for the floor. It is very stiff even before putting it onto the 4x2 joists 5 foot span. Once its on the joists at 20" centres myself, my wife and my daughter can jump up and down on it and it hardly moves. I suspect it was a bit OTT.

Reply to
dennis

Afraid not since (a) I'm not that clever; and (b) over the years there have been lots of requests for enhancements that would destroy what it is - a nice simple package for nice simple beams.

Reply to
Tony Bryer