Floor joist support

I am wonderingif my second story can holda new fireplace. I have 2x10 floors 16 in. on centerwith a 13ft. span. the fireplaceweighs 590lbs. I was placing the unit parallel to floor joist on exterior wall (only choice). I wasgoingto put the unit on a platform that isabout 44 in. deep to accomidate hearth. I wasgoing to finish with fake rock front. I need to build a chase that is 26 in. deep and abou 67 in wide that will extent up to ceiling 12 ft. high. I wasgoig to put blue stone on hearth. I am concerned about the weight what do you think?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
ttkend

I think I would "sister" another 2x10 in the area the fireplace is going to be sitting. Might even do a couple of crossbraces too. Truthfully, it's pretty difficult to answer your question without knowing what else is in the room weighing on the floor.

Reply to
JC

Reply to
jloomis

The OP is adding a permanent load, which is a dead load. The duration of the load affects the calculation somewhat, and the allowable live loads in most span tables are not based on permanent loads. They're down-rated like wind and snow loads, though not to the same degree.

RicodJour

So, he must have to look at the tables for "dead loads" I take it. I assume they have those, unless that would have to be an engineers call.

The OP is adding a permanent load, which is a dead load. The duration of the load affects the calculation somewhat, and the allowable live loads in most span tables are not based on permanent loads. They're down-rated like wind and snow loads, though not to the same degree.

jloomis

The tables show only distributed loads, not point loads. Point loads require calculation and won't be in any table. Not only ultimate strength will have to be determined, with a factor of safety of course, but shear and deflection. The deflection won't be a problem most likely. Having the load near the wall minimizes the risk, but if the guy wants to look into it he should do it the right way. That link gives a good overview of how to do it.

RicodJour

OP-

What is the TOTAL weight of the entire fireplace installation? Framing, fireplace insert & all the finishes (rock face)?

If the load is in the 600 lb range .....13 ft span at 40 psf is 520 but you have more like a concentrated load (really a local distributied load)

Just a SWAG but one sistered joist wouldn't be enough, two would probably be ok, three would definitely do it. But to be sure you need to do ( or have done) some calcs. That means....get it looked at.

I'd open up the floor or the ceiling below & sister in the joists.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK