Joints in vinyl flooring

Vinyl flooring (off a roll) looks like it might be the best bet for our new kitchen/dining/utility area. However, because of the odd shape of the space and the maximum width of 4m of vinyl, there will have to be

2 or 3 joins, and quite long ones at that.

My question is - just how naff, if naff at all, will those joints look? There's no way of escaping the fact that one of them will go right across a highly visible area. Will it be obvious, and is it likely to prove problematic (coming apart etc) in the long term?

Reply to
keiron99

Never had the inclination to stick this down in a kitchen. Have you ever walked on this stuff when its wet from cleaning it with a mop....woooosh! this has got to go. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Just how big is this room??

You can get vinyl at 5m width, but they order it in. Avoid joins if at all possible, and if not, then minimise. With a 5m width, you would only ever need 1 join for rooms where the smaller dimension is 10m or less. That's a *big* room.

Reply to
Grunff

Just like ceramic tiles or lino, then. Do you have any experience of it? A mop implies you are using far too much water. It works just fine in practice.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Experience? my girlfreind has after calling me all the names under the sun for not telling her the floor was damp from cleaning it.(vinyl was down when i moved into house).

As for mopping had 3 years experience as a deckhand. :-)

It only has to be damp and you can go sliding on your arse.

A squeezy type mop is best suited for tiles...whats Lino?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I had the problem but the other way round. My kitchen small but odd shape meant 50% waste on 4 m roll. Using the roll the other way with joins would have saved the waste.

Fitters wouldnt touch joins with a bargepole they said! Joins will show and will crack with age. Thats what they said.

Reply to
Bookworm

If you want a "vinyl" kind of finish, have you considered something like Karndean

or the apparently vastly more expensive Amtico?

Very good for doing strangely shaped rooms of arbitrary size. I have used it (Karndean) in two bathrooms with great success, and 5 years later it is still looking great. If we ever get round to doing up the kitchen I wouldn't hesitate to use it there. Search for my previous posts for more info!

One example of my previous attempts:

Simon Stroud