joining cores of multicore cable for beter ampacity

But could be avoided by running each pair from a separate fuse, each one rated at the maximum safe load for one pair?

Reply to
Rob Morley

What country is this in?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, go ahead!! You have had good advice here but we can't stop you so it's you funeral. By the way a 100 metre reel of 2.5 mm T&E is about £15.00 so can' believe cost is an issue?

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

Just like a ring main then.

Reply to
dennis

Just pointing out that instead of typing 1.5mm^2 or 1.5(sq)mm you can type ² by holding down the Alt key while typing 253 on the number pad on the right of the keyboard like this: 1.5mm². 252 is cubed ³, 248 is degrees ° and 171 is ½. There's lots more.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

If you must do this against all sensible advice, then an MCB rating of

16A absolute maximum.
Reply to
John Rumm

ooh I don't know ... I don't reckon you'd get away with that in some places - uk.misc for instance - strictly 7 bit, no smilies etc !

Thanks for the reminder - persuaded me to add "fr.rec.bricolage" to my subscribed groups :-) (é è ? ? )

Reply to
gentlegreen

"gentlegreen" wrote in message news:czWef.9768$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Mon plaisir, mon petit chou-chou! Not everybody knows about it though, do they? We all had to learn it at some stage.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Not that this is wrong, but some of the messages on this thread are inviting this guy to frizzle himself. For all we know, he might be trying to get power to his 45A kiln in his shed 250 feet from the CU at the bottom of his garden. And I don't think he understands irony/sarcasm. The advice just has to be

DON'T DO IT

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Well, mainly because I was wrong :-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Usenet was originally a 7-bit medium, and 8-bit characters won't display=20 in software that expects text to be basic ASCII. There isn't a single=20 standard for an extension to the basic ASCII set anyway, so even if=20 software is 8-bit capable it won't necessarily display the character=20 that the author intended.

Reply to
Rob Morley

|Usenet was originally a 7-bit medium, and 8-bit characters won't display |in software that expects text to be basic ASCII. There isn't a single |standard for an extension to the basic ASCII set anyway, so even if |software is 8-bit capable it won't necessarily display the character |that the author intended.

Not that I fully understand this, but I think these Alt-xxx characters are indeed part of the basic ASCII set. It's just that there aren't enough keys on an English QWERTY keyboard to allot one key to every available character. Is that not right?

Reply to
Peter Taylor

There are no "Alt -XX" characters, they're just characters. I use Alt-092 regularly for "\", just because this oddball Eunuchs keyboard doesn't have a key that every Windows box needs.

For characters up to "¦" (Alt-127) then they're 7-bit ASCII characters and you'll find them on most keyboards. Other characters «© ½° é» etc. are 8-bit and are found in ANSI but not ASCII character sets. They'll work in almost all Usenet contexts (I don't think this is a _requirement_ for usenet, but in practice it's widely supported).

Other character sets (UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 etc) that are different from ANSI will probably not work on usenet (there will be odd "broken" characters). They should work on the web if the server headers are configured correctly. Some (UTF-16) won't work for usenet at all.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No. Basic ASCII uses codes between 0 and 127 decimal. And the codes between 0 and 31 are not 'visible'. IBM's extended ASCII puts printable characters in the 0-31 and 128-255 spaces. Any Alt-n code, where n is not between 32 and 127 (or 126, perhaps) is not part of basic ASCII.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, that's not right. Type ASCII into Google to find out more.

Here are the displayable characters of the basic ASCII character set:

! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = > ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \ ] ^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z { | } ~

The first character (above 0 and to the left of !) is the space character, which might or might be described as "displayable" :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Thanks Bob & Andy. I just checked my binary basics and I was getting muddled between Standard and Extended, wasn't I. Happens too often these days! :)

Reply to
Peter Taylor

All characters are available using Alt-xxx but only a limited number of characters (as described in the paragraph above yours) are standard and so guaranteed to display the same on recipients screen as on sender's screen.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Talk about a hijacked post!

-- freddyuk