It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)

I've a few in my pocket, and a couple of notes, but I only got cash out of an ATM twice last year.

And regarding decimalisation, shopkeepers got the new coins before D-day - a got a few from the newsagent in advance (He didn't give them to me, I swapped them for old ones.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

On 16/02/2021 13:18, jon wrote: ...

I don't. I recall it being sold as being easier to teach to children. Apparently learning base 10 was easier than learning multiple base systems.

Reply to
nightjar

Whats calculators got to do with Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)????

Anyway, Calculators didn't really become commonplace till about 1972 IIRC? #

Think it was slate and chalk in those days wasn't it?

I understood it to be far more about computerization of the banking and financial system

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Almost. I am sure there is a minor Asian country that uses duodecimal

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So reason enough to dump this decimal delusion and return to the Good Old Days, eh ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's an odd one. Surely computers are uniquely equipped to deal with non-decimal systems ?

What I suspect is really meant - but may not be palatable to some - is that it was *American* software that needed decimal currency. Yet another clear example of how the UK can only go so far in it's own little universe until reality intrudes.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Which also sounds like a crock. Were British schoolchildren peculiarly disadvantaged by having to learn Lsd - especially on top of imperial ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What is imperial?

inches, feet, pounds, pints ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Decimal works well with metric and metric is generally easier for scientific and engineering calculations. So it probably makes sense to decimalise money as well, so everything can be calculated using the same, simple system.

However, while metric is good for such calculation, imperial has much more everyday usable sized units and divides nicely in a variety of different ways.

I just use both interchangeably, depending upon which suits better for the circumstances.

Reply to
Steve Walker

duodecimal works great if that is also your number base. Its the number of finger joints on one hand, too

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The will of the people seems otherwise though. Idiots, eh ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

pounds and ounces; pints and gallons; feet and inches, etc

Reply to
charles

surely 1971 ? some typo!

And at least, real, 5p and 10p and 50p had been in circulation for a while.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

ditto - but I've completely lost any appreciation of degrees F - just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I don't like admitting this, but I actually had to lookup what the boiling poinbt of water was in F !

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Inflation went up from 1970 to 1971, then down in 1972, then rocketed, but it was not just decimalisation.

see

and zoom in to the period. As you say at the time many people were convinced that decimalisation had made prices rise quickly.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

British Thermal Units and Kilocycles per second to keep Jim happy

Reply to
Andrew

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com writes

My recollection was that we had them made out of card, and they were printed/punched in such a way as to leave a margin down one side of the coin (so slightly bigger).

I can't remember what happened regarding school dinners, other than the (lack of) quality remaining constant.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I remember being sent to school with a sixpence one day to buy milk, and protesting that is not not proper money and they would not take it. Much to my surprise, it was accepted without even a second glance. (I am guessing this was about '76)

Reply to
John Rumm