Is this CU right

I have just come back from Toolsatan before reading your post. I got a further £10 off the price by using their recently introduced loyalty/identity card.

Incidentally the spend £60 or more and get £10 off offer ends today.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Probably not the one I was looking at. The same offer I was looking at ends on the 4th September.

It's still the same £10 saved:-)

Reply to
ARW

Then they are the wrong ones to use in that CU, unless you don't mind your supply being reduced to 63A and you fit another fuse/breaker.

Reply to
dennis

You have misunderstood how SPDs work. They are in /parallel/ with the circuits they protect. So an SPD which needs a max 32A MCB can happily sit in a CU and protect 100A loads. See the BEAMA guide - link in one of my earlier posts.

Reply to
Robin

It can but MCBs and RCDs have coils in them so don't expect the same surge protection if the surge current has to traverse breakers. To work well, they need a low impedance at a higher frequency than mains so even small coils will have an effect.

Reply to
dennis

Take the point about the fridge/freezer supply having plenty of spare ways at the moment so I will provide a radial for that socket but with cables buried in the wall I will protect that circuit with an RCBO, would 16A be alright?

I might as well do the same for my Alarm circuit, all the rest less critical circuits will be shared with the two RCDs.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes.

But get ready for tales of woe when the lights go out on a shared RCD and you will need emergency lighting on your stairs (NT normally provides "facts" about this for my amusement)

Or just congratulate yourself on buying a very good CU at a very good price.

Reply to
ARW

On 26/08/2019 14:36, dennis@home wrote: <snip>>>>>

If you are worried about that then use a fuse rather than an MCB, or use an SPD with integral overcurrent protection so it's all taken into account in the specs.

Reply to
Robin

I thought a CU swap counted as a rewire?

Would a fused outlet to the freezer also need RCD protection? DO the new rules apply to all 'outlets'?

Reply to
Fredxx

It's not. Trust me.

It is however one of the three notifiable Part P jobs.

I sometimes look forward to meeting the apprentices.

Reply to
ARW

So you are up in the loft faffing about using something electrical when suddenly POP, off goes all the lights, and you then end up in the bedroom via the most direct route ?.`

Reply to
Andrew

Don't keep us in suspense !

Reply to
Andrew

I had spotted this

It would need a few extra RCBOs but they are only £15 at TLC.

Reply to
ARW

Well that depends if you fell trough the loft just because it went dark or if it whet dark whist getting an electric shock!

Reply to
ARW