Is there a tool to assist *threading* cable ties?

I have searched and can't find anything that does this.

There are loads of "cable tie guns" which simply tighten the tie and cut the end off, but that's the easy bit to do manually!

I have a job comong up which will involve threading lots of cable ties through wire netting and round and back, then poking the end of the tie through the hole and then (the easy bit that the gun does) pulling tight and (probably not) cutting the end off.

So is there anything out there which will make the first two stages easier:-

1 - Poking the pie out and back through some netting. It's sort of generic when using a tie, you nead to thread it *round* something and the tie wants to be straight. 2 - Having got it round and back, poke the end through the hole (as the actress said to the bishop).

I can imagine some sort of tool that you could insert a tie into which would have a curved channel that you put round whatever it is you want the tie round. Push a lever (or something) and the tie is fed round the track and back to you. For the tool to do part 2 as well is more difficult but even doing part 1 would make using cable ties a whole lot easier.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well there is an idea for someone to come up with, I am sure it would sell having spent many hours doing and cursing cable ties. In the meantime a U shaped rigid tube should enable you to get a tie round a bunch of wires with both ends on the same side, you just have to be careful to hold the tie as you slide the guide tube off.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Maybe wrap the tie - or even the pie - around something about 1-2cm diameter for about ten seconds. Then get on with lacing the tie through the netting and back? A tight pinch could be even better - perhaps?

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Heat the ties to soften them. Form around a suitable curve and leave to cool. Should end up with "u" shaped ties.

Reply to
Richard

My brother who uses them for netting on his large allotment commends a grandchild with nimble hands and good eyesight (but I think the family relationship is optional).

Reply to
Robin

I'm glad to hear it's not just me! :-)

I'm not sure this helps my situation as I'm not trying to get ties round bundles of cable, I'm trying to get ties round the edge of wire netting to hold it on to something.

I suppose a curved piece of channel might help.

Reply to
Chris Green

That might well actually make the job less painful, thank you for the idea.

Reply to
Chris Green

If instead of a tube one uses a channel with an open side on the inside of the 'U' one could quickly and easily lift it off when the tie is captured. You still potentially need three hands, but it might be possible to catch the end of the tie with the hand holding the channel without dropping the latter. I am inspired to try it next time I do this job, having done 15m of netting the other day!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Yes, when there's a lot to do it does feel worth putting a little effort into coming up with something to help. I can picture exactly what's needed - a sort of tiny shepherd's crook made of channel into which the cable tie slides nicely.

However, will it actually work, i.e. won't the cable tie want to remain straight and thus not follow the bend of the channel? A small piece of tube would work to guide the cable tie but how do you remove it after getting the tie round the bend?

Reply to
Chris Green

:-)

It does show there's a need for such a thing though doesn't it!

Reply to
Chris Green

In message snipped-for-privacy@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net writes

er.. Consider galvanised *hog ring clips* designed for the job?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How about a piece of stiff wire that could be bent to the appropriate shape, with a small croc clip on the end? It could be threaded round the post then the clip could bring the end of the tie round.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

If the opening of the channel is on the inside of the bend I don't see why it shouldn't work. The tie would have to bend even more to get out, and couldn't go sideways.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Good for clipping to a wire fence, a quarter of the time to do it, but not to a trellis or poles.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Rather than looking for a tool how about ?pre-forming? your cable ties into a hook shape (bend them over a former and apply heat somehow). You could probably do a large batch in one go.

Having made them hook shaped it should be easy to loop them though and back ready to have the tail poked through the ratchet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
<snip>

<snip>

I often put a shape in the cable tie first (just bending it in my fingers or dragging it over a screwdriver shaft like you would to put a curl in some ribbon) and then it's already pointing back as you poke it though far enough.

If you gave me the diameter / radius you were looking to cover I might be able to design and print your hooked (open?) channel idea?

If it was more of a U section but with the section facing up or down, you could pre fit the tie in the tool, thread it in place and then could lift it off the tie once the end is though and before you pull it tight?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I did wonder if there was an alternative, but didn't know what they were called, thanks!

I can't *quite* see how the pliers hold the 'rings' at the moment, but I expect I'll find a better picture somewhere.

Reply to
Chris Green

I was trying to describe a wire-to-wire requirement so they're good for me.

Reply to
Chris Green

<snip>

Use wire instead of ties, bend it how you like and cut it as required.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

They are incredibly quick to fix compared with cable ties - 10X quicker easily

- and especially neat if both fences are galvanised. Still better looking than cable ties if the netting is plastic. Just make sure you get galvanised clips. Just an example, better quality is available:

Roger Hayter