Threading cable behind plaster

All, I need to 'post' about a meter of (quite thin - its for the surrounds) speaker cable through a hole in the plaster, down behind it and then back out again at the bottom. I have not removed the skirting yet, but I am hoping there will be a gap between the floor and the plaster board making it easier to 'grab' when it gets to the floor. However, whats the best way of making sure the cable falls in the right way towards to floor when I start threading it through the small hole, and doesn't start squirming its way towards the ceiling ?? Tie a bit of lead to it ?! But what can I use that is small enough in order to prevent me needing a much bigger hole in order to be able to fi the weight through with the cable ?? Also, where can I buy a handful of the little wall plugs that are used by the likes of the sky installers so that the point where the cable disapears behind the wall looks tidy ??

Cheers, Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Use a plumb line on string so it hangs vertically. Once the weight has hit the bottom and you have retrieved it, tie the string to the cable and pull it through. The ends of the speaker cable should be stripped back slightly and the two conductors soldered to each other. This gives a easy strong tying point for the string.

Don't bother with those wall plugs. They are a bodge and look terrible. After installing the cable, fill the hole with plaster or cellulose filler and repaint.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Use a mousey. A small weight - usually lead - tied onto strong thread or string. Get that through then tie/tape the cable to the string avoiding 'sticky-out-bits' that could snag as you pull it through. A length of steel wire bent into a hook is often useful for fishing into the hole for the string in difficult situations. Great fun. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hammer a bit of lead on to a string and drop it down the hole. Then pull the wire through with the string. I use a bit of lead about 2" long from the sheath of an old lead covered cable. As it is flat it can normally be dropped easily down relatively small gaps.

Ian

Reply to
ian nicoll

Hi Neil,

Dunno if the FAQ still mentions the idea (attributed to me, but actually conceived elsewhere) of using ferrous chain to give the "weight" and a powerful magent at the bottom to pull it through? Twas in the FAQ many moons ago, under "dropping cables through cavities".

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo Henning