Is polystyrene a good enough insulator

to keep rust at bay?
I've decide to move me workroom(spare bedroom)into the utility room(posh git) which is slightly smaller. However the utility room gets a bit cold in there come winter time,no rad in there yet,any way I'll have cupboards & drawers for small tools and I'm thinking of lining the cupboards & drawers with polystyrene to stop rust getting a hold of metal parts.
I cant put the big stuff in cupboards ie Drill Press,Table Saw, ect,so I was wondering whether if I make fit over covers out of polystyrene will be sufficient to keep the rust at bay like this?
Any thoughts Thanks.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

If the room is dry i.e. no leaks in roof, rising/penetrating damp etc then the only prob is condensation. When relatively warm humid air meets cold surfaces (walls, tools, anything in the room) you may get condensation - worse on heat conductive surfaces such as your metal tools. Worst in summer, less of a prob in winter as the rooom is likely to be relatively warm compared to outside air. Insulating the whole room with anything will keep it warmer than the outside air assuming there is some source of heat e.g. from rest of building, sun through windows or actual heater. Insulating cupboards won't make any difference unless you also heat the cupboards. You could do that with just a small lightbulb at the bottom perhaps?
cheers Jacob
PS covering your kit with polythene or anything impervious will keep out moist air - but polystyrene pointless.
normanwisdom wrote:

And a fire hazard.
snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Cardboard,paper,blankets,carpets,wood ect are a fire hazard as well but we live with it.
Polystyrene doesn't catch fire,it shrivels up.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Produces black nasty fumes I believe.
In a (successful) attempt to make the upstairs, solid walled NE corner room of the house feel warmer, I have 2mm polystyrene veneer behind the wallpaper.
...yes I know (and don't care) that it saves very little heat and is prone to damage, the walls are warmer to the touch and the room feels warmer - anyway I digress...
Selling house and purchasers had full survey done which identified said veneer as a "fire hazard" so had to knock a bit off for stripping and repapering. The hazard is not it catching fire but what it gives orf.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Does save heat - look at relative k values - polyst. foam 25, bricks 1700. Means 2mm polyst. equivalent to 136 mm brick. Worth having - more the better
cheers Jacob

well I *thought* that but it wasn't why I did it and knowing this ng, I assumed I would be shot down if I put it forward as a heat-saving measure! It did what I wanted, which was fine. 2mm can be wallpapered up very easily. Main problem is the damage-proneness, I think, rather than fire risk. The purchasers are a nice couple with one youngster and another on the way and it's to be the youngster's bedroom - if they see "fire risk" you can't blame them for wanting something done about it. Easy come easy go and we are all friends which is cool.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Bob Mannix wrote:

And a comfortable cool room is pleasanter than an uncomfortable warm room.

Could it have been plasterboarded over? By the time fire reached it, people should be well out of the house.
Owain
Bob Mannix wrote:

Polystyrene ceiling tile shave been the case of some pretty nasty smoke inhalation deaths. Its a great insulator, but not INSIDE a room please.
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Listen shitface I've just about had enough of your insulting behaviour,continue to insult me and I'll follow you round like a bad smell with a meaningfull of abusive language.
Keep your insulting behavoiur to yourself and do not on any account reply to any of my post.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby:<snipped>
<<Hence eligibiity for the Darwin Awards sooner or later>>
Oh dear, dear, was it something that you said?
Weatherlawyer wrote:

You're gone,bye you obnoxious bombastic tit.
Out of sight out of mind.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

normanwisdom wrote:

Yes, as an insulator, but unless his tools are self warming, useless to prevent condensation.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:50:36 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Must make it differently now then(*). I well remember burning expanded polystyrene when I was a lad. It does burn with a yellow flame, melts, which is rather hot and *very* sticky <OUCH!> and gives of dense black smoke full of nasties not just soot.
(*) Modern stuff probably has a fire retardant treatment or additive.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Polystyrene tile weren't called bonfire tiles for nothing. :-)
--
Roger Chapman

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

you obviously never ever have burnt it.

It burns like stink.
--
Skipweasel
normanwisdom wrote:

It'll keep it in too. I really don't think you have to worry unless it's an exceptionally damp room or your tools are made of exceptionally poor material.