is electric heating likely to become cheaper than gas heating in future?

I understood from the begining, you apparently didn't.

Here's another clue, fit TRVs.

Or if that's beyond your limited talents, simply turn the radiators off in the rooms that you don't use.

Heck, that was difficult.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And it's actually not true, not in the case of Sizewell at least. Early reactors were of course primarily designed to make plutonium, not electricity. That was a neat way of getting rid of the waste heat and spinning them as useful.

Current generating costs are cost competitive with carbon fuel.

see

a good reactor operating at a decent load factor is well clear of the competition in terms of overall cost - and that graph is

2002 figures, when the global gas market was still relatively cheap.

AND it includes decommissioning.

I guess there wasn't room at the top of the graph for windpower..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might have already have been said in this long thread but... ...I seem to remember at about the time they opened Calder Hall they said nuclear power would become too cheap to bother with meters.

Reply to
Graham.

For a new house built to Building Regs or better you may well find that the energy used for hot water exceeds that needed for heating.

My instinct would be underfloor heating and think about a heat pump

- energy cost may be a bit more than gas, but the unit should run with next to no maintenance, but if you use gas for cooking it's there and gas boilers are cheap compared with heat pumps.

On the DHW side there is a complicated interplay between usage and storage - lots of solar panels and limited storage just means that you run out of stored solar heated DHW and need to top up with more expensive energy; lots of storage (so you can heat all your DHW with off peak electricity on overcast days) = higher storage losses.

You'll need to get a SAP calculation done for BR anyway - I would ask the person who does this to produce several alternative options and see how they compare.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

And Brown said no more boom and bust. I meann really, did you actually believe either statement?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you are taking far too many baths. Or you live in an apartment block. Or a rabbit hutch.

solar panels are a complete waste of time in this country. They never pay back maintenance costs even.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even if the feed-in tariff cuts in next year?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have them already. They're Honeywell.

Oh, and when I'm not using the room I normally use, e.g. I've gone to the shops or the library, then the room is still being heated? Have I got that right? Are you recommending I do that? Heat an unoccupied room for several hours?

'Cos I'd just like to make sure where you're coming from!

But doesn't address my requirement to NOT heat parts of the house I am not in, including not heating up the pipework unnecessarily. And if I turned the rads off completely, how would I take the chill off to protect against frost damage when it's really cold? (Recall that I already said I'll switch on the CH during the night sometimes just for that purpose.)

Or am I expected to set an alarm for 3am, then get up and go around the house turning on all the turned off rads?

MM

Reply to
MM

How do you feed in from a thermal solar panels? Photo voltaics are staggeringly expensive for any meaninful level of power output, thousands per kW...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So you reckon I could have got the same amount of *targeted* warmth (i.e. only where I am at at any given moment) over the past 110 days from less than a £100's worth of heating oil? Because that is how much I've spent on top of my usual electricity bill. One hundred pounds. Less than a quid a day. Do you reckon your CH is costing you less than a quid a day?

MM

Reply to
MM

OK, not the right term, I should have said "Tariff levels for Renewable Heat Incentives"

believe that they are still contemplating how the energy will be measured, but it may well simply be that a certain size installation is "deemed" to have produced a corresponding output. It may also be qualified by the capability of the property to make use of that energy.

Indeed they are, which is why the tariff terms are so generous.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Was that before or after we were promised jet-packs?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They calculate the theoretical output of your thermal solar panels and pay you according to that. That's why they only accept installations fitted by the Guild of Green Cuddly Boiler Fitters, to stop you fitting some fake solar panels from the pound shop and claiming the feed-in.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why not go on the dole instead? you will get more money from us taxpayers that way?

And how long do you think the public will stand for subsidised inefficient eco-bollox when petrol is £2 a litre?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And what happens when we all do this, because its so attractive?

1/. Britain'ss net power requirements will reduce .001%. 2/. Britain's net gain (because we pay the tax as well as gain benefits from it) will be a 1% loss to to bureaucratic overheads. 3/. People in sink estates will complain that its a middle class privileged elitist subsidy, because they can fit them in a tower block,

This is loony ecobollox, and it wont last. Not in current economic crises.

a few years ago it was gay afro Caribbean lesbian drop in centers. Today is buying domestic power at 20 times what its worth to put money in a highly lobbied industries pockets.

The good thing about an economic crisis, is that people actually are forced to do the sums, and work out how MUCH stupid government costs them, before they vote for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They never promised us I-pods, or the Internet though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If a carrot is dangled that I am in a position to nibble, I'm not at all sure I am worrying where it came from.

There are those who decried the lottery as a tax on the lower classes to support the arts for the middle classes. Doesn't seem to have stopped them though.

As this seems to have cross-party support, I don't think you will find one supporting your view that is likely to be in a position to form a government.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No need, I'm retired and looking forward to when my state pension will kick in, for a bit more pocket money, so I trust you will keep paying your stamps. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Over the winter months my heating bill was more than a quid a day. I do not go for the completely unheated house though. I also heat the hallway, landing and bathroom. I would find it rather unplasant having no heating on at all in those rooms.

My winter heating cost me £130 for 90 days. Of course I might be out of the house for a lot longer than you or prefer a cooler temperature. The room stat in the hall is usually set at 17 deg.

Have you thought about a wireless roomstat that you can take around with you? By all means use the electric fan for the instantaneous heating when you first enter a cold room but turn the radiator on. As the radiator heats up (so seem to have a big time lag) you can then turn the fan off and you can control your room temperature with the remote stat.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Set the TRVs to the frost stat position.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth