IP65 enclosure for mains and 12V?

Hi all I'd like to take mains power *and* auxiliary power (12V DC) from my garage to the outside. Are there any IP65 type enclosures that will let me do this?

I'm not expecting anything with a built in transformer; I'm mainly wondering what sort of socket would be appropriate for the 12V output, and whether there are any enclosures providing such a socket.

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
jkn

There are a number of enclosures designed to house wall warts outside (Christmas/pond lights etc). GIYF and check the actual IP rating.

As for the 12 V it'll need hefty cable if you are wanting to draw even a few amps and still have 12 V at the destination.

That might be a better solution depending on what this 12 V is for.

The broadcast world uses 4 pin XLR.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about a towing socket for the low voltage?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Does GIYF mean what I think it might? ;-( . How might I find out, I wonder??

(I am not after drawing much current from the 12V supply)

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I think that's most appropriately answered with "GIYF!" :-)

Any idea how much current you'll be drawing off the 12v supply?

Reply to
Johnny B Good

outside

GFGI! Well actaully GFGBOT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why do you need IP65? IP44 is common for outdoor mains sockets.

Caravan and boat suppliers are probably the best places to look.

Reply to
Nightjar

Remember that at 12v voltage drop can be quite a problem on long runs. The current needed is 20 times that for a mains operated device.

Reply to
charles

Agreed, it all depends on how much aux power you want, and how far it is. FWIW I used to run about 15 metres of "lamp flex", probably 0.75 mm^2, from my workshop to the car hard standing area, with a pair of croc clips, for trickle charging cars from a small-ish battery charger inside.

Reply to
newshound