Insulation - too much or not enough?

One wonders what sort of temperature is maintained in this bungalow, and whether it was designed as a year round residence.

Reply to
stuart noble

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think I would, too.

If you fart, your bubble wrap expands.

Reply to
grimly4

I'm also wondering what happened to the patio doors and windows - did the OP finally chuck her OH through them?

Reply to
grimly4

Somewhere online I've seen diagrams that show all the usual sources of dampness, but I cant remember where. Might be useful for you.

NT

Reply to
NT

No, its a brick and clock built 1950's ( 1958 I think) bungalow with cavity walls. Traditional build for the time. It was coal fired. No gas to the village. I currently use electric ( fitted with storage heaters by a predecessor in the 1970's/80 ish) because its easier and frankly isnt really dearer give the cost of coal ( and I dont have a source of logs - many in the village chop down a tree when they run short - I am not kidding) .

The rooms are not constant in heat. The sitting and dining rooms are about

21 degrees. I have to have this to keep my chest from flaring up. I had pneumonia three years back and I have a weakness on the chest now. The kitchen I only heat when I go in there. Hence the fan heater. The bedroom has a storage heater on and is about 18 degrees constant.

Hall, no heat. Bathroom no heat, can be heated when in use ( generally do not bother.)

The bungalow was double glazed ( wooden frames , now getting rotten) about

1980. Condensation is a feature when heating isn't on 21 degrees. Although NOW I have cut the heating to the sitting room by one heater and it doesn't have condensation anymore since I got new patio doors and French windows fitted ( new double glazing and plastic frames) and I changed the window in the dining room from single glazed to double glazed. The new units do seem thicker glass than the old ones.

Is that any use?

( just to make this clear - No, this isn't a park home, it is a country bungalow on a smallholding)

Reply to
sweetheart

No I didn't chuck him through them. I just ordered up new ones and told him to shut up. he hasn't stopped moaning about it since but that's another story I am sure you do not want to hear.

Reply to
sweetheart

Sorry that should read brick and block. Of course someone will have a field day with that and references to the " Borrowers" clock family.

Reply to
sweetheart

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with your situation but cavity wall insulation should be your priority (I envy anyone who has cavity walls), and oil fired central heating would be a good investment. It's a lot to shell out initially but what price do you put on your health and long term quality of life?

Reply to
stuart noble

Cavity wall insulation has been done.

Oil is extremely expensive. I couldnt affiors that and thats saying something. Besides OH wouldnt let me have it on for the same reason as I am not allowed all my current heating on - he draws the line and I dont need the argument.

Reply to
sweetheart

You could spend one of your inheritances. Call it an investment.

Reply to
ARWadsworth