Insulating under wooden floors

I noticed that in my newly purchased mansion ( :-) ) there is nothing between the floorboards and the ground except air. As there is crawling space under the house, I thought it must be possible to insulate the house from underneath. What materials would you expert DIYers recommend? What would it cost?

Regards, KJ.

Reply to
Kjetil Rossavik

Either use celotex, or suspend netting below and stuff with rockwool. You must pay attention to how you expect to keep the joists from rotting. To stop them rotting, the joists must either be kept warm, or strongly ventilated. You are not allowed to get them cold and wet, or you'll get rot.

Pay particular attention to air bricks. Don't block any of them up until you have decided what strategy you are using to make them unnecessary.

Draughts can be eliminated by affixing hardboard from underneath. This may be all you need. Heat rises, so conductive losses (as opposed to convective cold draughts) through floors are rarely great.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Kjetil Rossavik writes

A frequently and deeply covered subject, get thee to google ;-) :

for the works, or this in one of the threads:

fred