Insulating a chest freezer

If it was one that we use year round, I?d agree but it only gets pressed into service on special occasions (a few weeks over Christmas and during this Covid crisis). A new one would be a minimum of £170 and for the amount we use it, not worthwhile.

If I can find any insulation off-cuts in a skip somewhere then it won?t cost me anything (bar the glue) to have a go at improving its performance.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Has it lost some refrigerant?

I?m assuming you?ve checked it isn?t frosted up? We had one which did this if it needed defrosting?

Another option is air flow around the ?radiator? on the back. We had one in a shed ( it was rated for use in out buildings) and it got a bit clogged with dust, saw dust etc. A quick clean and it was back to normal.

Door / lid seals are another common fault.

Reply to
Radio Man

£40 in charity shops for a replacement freezer.

Lots of insulation in skips, I wonder when we'll see glued together sheets on flea bay!

You can work out what it's costing you, like that it'll run the compressor at the nameplate power continuously.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And how would I know if it?s any better than the one I have?

So you say, but it isn?t. Possibly a faulty stat.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

use of brain

ets on flea bay!

It may be adjustable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

rated freezer (I

ice to allow us to

If it's running continuously, it's lost some gas. Or it may be just the very hot weather. See what happens in cooler weather. If it has lost gas, it's junk these days.

Reply to
harry

Do explain then. Which of your superpowers do you use to detect how much refrigerant loss there has been in a used freezer?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't use any superpowers. I'd rely on the legal contract of sale & the l egal & practical comebacks I'd have. I'd also realise that if such a shop s old dodgy freezers regularly they'd be lucky to stay in business long. I'd also be aware that even without those the odds of a badun were lowish.

That for £40 versus a new one for £175 is the choice.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr