Insulating a ceiling

I work for a very small company but we are lucky enough to have our own property. One of the rooms is currently being decorated and I had suggested that a layer of some insulation would be a good idea as the ceiling is particularly cold.

For various reasons this was not going to occur - but suddenly it has become a possibility.

The room has a pitched roof with the ceiling immediately underneath. There are a few beams visible (it is quite an old building) and the plaster is flat. Height is plentiful but anything applied would have to lie between the beams so thickness is an issue. Probably try to keep under 30mm total thickness.

Is there anything like Celotex that has a surface that is itself suitable to be decorated directly (probably just painted with emulsion)? Something like Celotex with a surface made of the same sort of cardboard layer that is on plasterboard springs to mind. The problem is that it really is not going to be possible to put up some insulation and a layer of plasterboard. We need something that can be stuck up in one go - even if the joins are not perfect.

I shall be doing some research myself but if I don't get the answer before work tomorrow it won't happen! So I thought I'd ask here - any suggestions will be welcomed.

Note: Despite being an old building there are no planning problems with internal changes.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

plasterboard.

==================== Have a look at:

Look under 'Roofing and Insulation' and read details of 'Airtec'. It might be what you're looking for.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

"Cicero" wrote in news:qL61c.7102$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net:

Thanks - but not quite there.

Perhaps I should have said that one alternative would be a roll of polystyrene sheeting followed by lining paper.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

================== Polystyrene sheeting (on the roll) is only about 1/8th" (3mm) thick. It's not likely to give much insulation value at that thickness - more anti-condensation. Have you considered the sheets of polystyrene which have corrugations to enable them to be wedged between the rafters? Wickes stock it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

"Cicero" wrote in news:WA71c.7168$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net:

Yes - but the rafters are not visible - the ceiling is plastered. So anything we use has to be capable of being stuck onto plain plaster. There are a few visible beams (at the apex, about half way down and three or four up/down). I wholeheartedly agree with you - 8mm is not really worth the effort. I was thinking of, say, 25mm Celotex stuck onto the existing ceiling. But the aluminium surface is not ready to paint - it really needs a layer of plasterboard as well. But that makes it too thick and not suited to just being stuck on. So if Celotex came with a suitable surfacing it would be fine.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Have a look at Kingspan Thermawall TW56 or 52. It is labelled as an 'Insulated dry-lining plasterboard' It is, as the name suggests for walls, but it can be fixed like plasterboard. It also has tapered edges for 'standard drylining techniques' for finishing. I sent to them for info. on loft insulation and they sent me the fulll architects and designers guide, which is the only reason I know of this product. WM

plasterboard.

Reply to
demon news

Late, but why can't you put conventional insulation in the roof, even if you have to make and seal a hole to get up there?

J.B.

Reply to
jerrybuilt

jerrybuilt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ziplip.com:

The ceiling currently seems to be plasterboard nailed to the underside of the roofing timbers. Without removing the plasterboard there is no possibility of access behind this. Even if partially removed, it is unlikely that there is more than a very slim gap between the plasterboard and the underside of the tiles.

Thanks to all - the Kingspan is very close to being suitable but I think that with its requisite timber it will be too thick - unless the exisitng plasterboard is removed first... I shall pass the information on and see what happens.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

In article , Rod Hewitt writes

Call Sheffield Insulations for advice.

Z wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@imaris.demon.co.uk:

Thanks for the contributions.

Unfortunately the result was that I didn't get the info in time and anyway it was unlikely to have happened right now. But it is now all logged away for when another room gets done up in a few months.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt