Insulating a 9" brick wall.

I wish to convert my garage to a habitable room. The walls are 9" solid brick. Regs require walls to have a U value of 0.3

I looked at the following site and the products are rated in R values. Can anyone please tell me which one I need.

you

mark

Reply to
Mark

U lets you calculate how much heat you are loosing easily (U * area * temp difference).

R = 1 / U, and has the nice property that R values add. That is, if you have a 9" brick (R value 0.5), and 50mm celotex (R value about 2), then the R value of the two together is 2.5. Inverting to get a U value gives you 0.4 (so you need a bit more celotex).

You need an overall R of 1/0.3 approx = 3.3.

Don't forget that if you use 100mm sheeps wool between 50mm studs at

600mm centres, you will need to allow for the fact that 1/12 of the surface is conductive wood rather than insulating wool.
Reply to
Martin Bonner