Insulating a 9" brick wall.

I wish to convert my garage to a habitable room. The walls are 9" solid
Regs require walls to have a U value of 0.3
I looked at the following site and the products are rated in R values.
Can anyone please tell me which one I need.
formatting link
Reply to
U lets you calculate how much heat you are loosing easily (U * area * temp difference).
R = 1 / U, and has the nice property that R values add. That is, if you have a 9" brick (R value 0.5), and 50mm celotex (R value about 2), then the R value of the two together is 2.5. Inverting to get a U value gives you 0.4 (so you need a bit more celotex).
You need an overall R of 1/0.3 approx = 3.3.
Don't forget that if you use 100mm sheeps wool between 50mm studs at 600mm centres, you will need to allow for the fact that 1/12 of the surface is conductive wood rather than insulating wool.
Reply to
Martin Bonner

Site Timeline Threads

HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.