Installing a woodburner

In message , Tim Streater writes

There is fair bit of information on the wood burner vendor sites. Obviously they have a vested interest. Also covered by building regs. J?

You need an air vent for 5+kW or so. When I fitted mine, BC supervised. For a commercial installation you need a Hetas certified person.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Saturday 01 February 2014 21:02 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And you also now need a CO detector under building regs. I forgot that earlier.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Saturday 01 February 2014 13:11 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

This is, I believe, not correct:

(Page 6, Approved Doc J)

"In general, all work on a combustion appliance which is not a repair or maintenance will be notifiable work and Schedule 2B will not apply. However, it might be possible to add a control device to the appliance or to alter its electrical connection under the allowance in this schedule. Local authority building control departments can give advice in cases of doubt."

If nothing else, the decision about whether to reuse a flue or to line, and how to line with what is something that needs to be decided by someone with competance.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Davey writes

Not if you want to stick to your example :-).

If you had an electrical fire that burned down your home then the certification of your woodburner flue would have no bearing on your claim.

If your insurer tried to make it an issue then the financial ombudsman service would wipe the floor with them.

If, alternatively, you put a woodburner in an inadequate flue and burnt your house down as a result of your own negligence then I'd expect at least a very close examination of the terms of your cover and most likely a spit roasting of your body over the ashes of your home by the insurer's loss adjuster.

Reply to
fred

Christ, I'd forgotten all this - and it's only two years since we had ours put in. I must be getting sealion.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have more faith in them than I do, then.

Reply to
Davey

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. After the gas was disconnected I was planning to do all the work needed to remove the gas fire and install the wood burner (I did that for the larger one we have) and after all the comments I'll follow the same plan and get a "man in" to install the flue a nd put vermiculite around it.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

On Sunday 02 February 2014 08:12 puffernutter wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The vermulite is optional, depending.

I do not have any (HETAS installed liner) and it's useful the brock flue gets warm as it becomes a central source of stored heat.

However, it's a bunglow - short flue. It may be decided by your HETAS bloke that vermulite is a good idea. Just saying don;t worry if he does not recommend it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They should be notified about the installation of any heat-producing appliance.

You need to comply with any smoke-free zones (approved appliances only). If a neighbour complains, that will bring the Local Authority sniffing around for certificates.

Look on the HETAS website. There are loads of requirements, more than anyone could list here.

Reply to
Onetap

Hardly. All appliances produce heat. Perhaps you mean "heating appliances".

Reply to
Huge

No, I mean the Building Regulations, Approved Document, Part J (Heat producing appliances).

OK with you?

Reply to
Onetap

No, I mean the Building Regulations, Approved Document, Part J (Heat producing appliances).

That OK with you?

Reply to
Onetap

Shurely shome mistakes...

"Approved Document J -Combustion appliances and Fuel Storage systems"

;-)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K