"inner room" and fire escapes

I've been reading the building regulations on fire saftey but want to check I have understood correctly.

want to be sure what an "inner room" is. As I understand it, a ground floor room that has a door onto the hall which leads directly to the front door is not an inner room so it does not need to have a secondary means of escape. An inner room is one that is accessed via anothe "room". I'm assuming the hall is not a room. Is this correct?

This is relevant to me because I am contemplating a change to the house that means that one ground floor room will have no windows but just a door to a the courtyard (3m x 3m) which has no further exits. the room is on the ground floor an has a door into the hall. It's a conventional 2 story victorian terraced house.

thanks for any help

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

AIUI you're correct in your understanding of an inner room - and exiting onto a hallway is fine - provided it *is* a hallway and doesn't have any open-plan rooms opening onto it.

Even the door into the courtyard might count as MOE provided the courtyard is accessible.

If this windowless room won't be used as a habitable room (and you've looked at the BR requirements for ventilation) and isn't in "frequent use", I think even the inner-room rule may be relaxed.

Reply to
RubberBiker