Induction hob - Y/N?

See my other post not much more than eggcupful of water. Halogen suufer the problems of most other electric hobs but are slightly faster to react. It says something about the cleaning when ceramic and halogen come with a special scraper... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'tis true if I had the option of mains gas that is what I would use. Even though I quite like induction and it's performance is pretty much equal to gas I'm still sort of toying with idea of bottled propane. Lot more agro to install though the electrics I can do an are in. I don't have gas related "bits and bobs" so would have to get a man in...

+1 no point at all in a recirculating cooker hood. When we moved in here that is what the one was set up to do. The windows would stream with condensation when cooking pasta. Stupid thing was there was a hole in the wall with a broken extract fan in it. Took that out ran a bit of flexible vent hose from the hood to the hole. No more streaming windows...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If it doesn't vent outside it's not a ventilator.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Fire!

Reply to
ARW

Not with a good set of pans. We have some old stainless pans without vents in the lids and they will simmer without much steam escaping at all. Its only cheap pans that need a vent and let loads of steam out.

Reply to
dennis

We don't have mains gas either, but 2 or 3 years ago we had a dual-fuel cooker installed. The two propane bottles have an automatic changeover wotsit. I wish I'd done it years ago.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I really do recommend them. When we built a new extension, we toyed with having gas cooking but tried a cheap single plug in one from Lidl, £29.95, to tide us over while kitchenless and we were converted. We installed a proper four ring one in the new kitchen and love it.

The downside, as already mentioned, are that the pans need to be made of steel or cast-iron. Aluminium or SS won't work unless they have a magnetisable base, which some do. Take a magnet when shopping for new pans, or testing suitability of existing ones! Most cookware now shows what it is suitable for though.

If not used for severe frying, you can put a square of kitchen towel between pan and hob and cook "through" it and further reduce cleaning though nothing burns-on anyway, unlike halogen.

The single hob gives a fifth ring if needed and is well suited to taking outside for summer cooking. The paper towel trick always raises questions at a BBQ from the uninitiated ;-)

Reply to
Steve Eldridge

Why does the price of a pan dictate the need for a vent?

I can certainly see that cheap and nasty pans might have poor-fitting lids hence let water in the gaseous phase out in excess, but that is not a need so much as poor quality.

Reply to
polygonum

A good compromise answer to the question gas or induction may be a 'gas on glass' hob. They have the controllability of gas, are easier to clean than a standard gas hob (but not quite as easy as induction) and, most important from SWMBO's viewpoint, they look good.

They are not cheap, but a good gas on glass is not as expensive as a good induction.

Reply to
rbel

"Gas glass hobs don?t heat up as quickly as electric ceramic models."

And slow heat up was my main gripe about ceramic. (Plus all the hot surface issues.)

Reply to
polygonum

Quite often on Cruise ships where gas is not welcome or practical for various reasons.

We have had an induction hob for about 6 years now, no mains gas and I don't really want the clutter of bottles or a storage tank for cooking. Having used gas in the past we found the induction hob to be almost as controllable as the gas was. A lot easier to clean compared to the open burners of the gas cookers and old style electric rings we have used in the past. Only very minor niggle is that drips of water from saucepan lids etc when you lift them up form puddles that need to wiped up with a cloth,with gas or old style electric rings the drips just sizzled then turned to steam and went out the extractor. As other have said you need the correct cook ware and most domestic induction hobs won't be suitable for people who like cooking with Woks ,commercial induction WOK units are available but pricey.

G.Harman G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What an apparently strange comment for 'Which' to make. As the burners are located on top of the glass, there is nothing between the flame and the pan, whereas an electric ceramic hob has ceramic glass between the element and the pan base. Unless they are indicating that all gas hob burners are slower than electric ceramic which, from experience of halogen under ceramic and gas, I would suggest is not the case.

Reply to
rbel

No, that's an advantage:

1) Less moisture in the room or condensing in the extractor 2) On a halogen yes it dries up and you're left with burnt on crud to get off.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Best bit of kitchen kit we ever bought. far FAR faster than anything else, and really controllable.

I'd say, of the cookers we've had:

Ceramic hob - easy to clean, unless you have a burnt-on spill. Godawful slow.

Radiant ring - faster than ceramic. Never did work out how to clean it.

Halogen (only used my mum's) - better than the above, but not as fast as gas. Spills burn on.

Gas - had one for years. PITA to clean, inefficient, you can use anything at all to cook with. Even an old tin if you want.

Induction - faster than any of the above, efficient, quiet (Which? reckon noisy - I think ours is quieter than the gas, just the occasional buzz), and so easy to clean - just needs a wipe with a damp cloth, as no part of it ever gets hot enough to burn anything on. But we did have to buy new saucepans, and I'm now doing stirfries in a sauté pan as you can get a flat wok.

Get one.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Benefit of those is you can use any pan material compared to induction needing magnetic. Better than solid or radiant rings in that they are completely flat (easier to clean) and heat up faster. Only used them occasionally and never had to live with them so can't comment on reliability.

Reply to
Part Timer

There are theories that angels dancing on pin heads can be bad for you.

Of course you can dear, you can probably also smell the deadly peanuts.

Reply to
Peter Parry

It is usually because people with gas hobs tend to cook on them, those with electric tend to warm up supermarket ready meals on them.

Reply to
Peter Parry

You make it sound as bad a breathing IRFNA fumes.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Presumably gas hob and electric oven? What size cylinder do you use and how long does one last?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, gas hob and electric ovens.

IIRC (I'm out of the country at the moment) the cylinders are 19k. Not really sure how long each one would last in _normal_ use, as I've been away quite a bit - I haven't yet had to refill. Of course, with an electric kettle and electric ovens, slow cooker, steamer, toaster, and microwave, gas usage is not heavy. And my pressure cooker also saves on gas usage.

The hob includes a big triple-ring 'wok' burner, two large, and one smaller. The supports are cast-iron and can be cleaned in the dishwasher; the top is sealed (no holes beneath the burners) and easy to wipe clean.

I like cooking, and I'm pleased with its performance.

Reply to
S Viemeister