Indesit WIA111 Washing Machine problem

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my Indesit WIA111 washing machine and wondered in anyone here had any pointers.

The washing cycle starts off fine, with the machine drawing in water and turning a bit. It heats the water up and then just stops.

The door light (which is normally solid red) starts flashing, and then goes out. The washing machine then just sits there forever. The door stays lock unless I press the power button. The rinse LED (normally solid) then starts flashing a minute later the door unlocks.

Once in this state the machine seems to be in it forever - I've already replaced the circuit board which allowed me to start a new cycle - but now it's back in the same state.

The water seems to be heating up to the right temperature (it's set for 40 and is slightly hotter than body heat when I stick my fingers in). The impeller seems to be free to turn (I can turn by hand), and there's no blockage in the waste pipe (I've drained and blown through back to the impeller. As above, it seems to turn OK.

Thoughts? I'm guessing it might be something to do with the thermostat not registering the correct temperature so the machine shuts itself down. (I've seen references to this problem on the internet, but no definitive diagnosis.)

I'll also post of ukwhitegoods when my username comes through.

TIA, Piers

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

on 01/11/2009, Piers Finlayson supposed :

It sounds like a bit of a puzzler that one. If you have replaced the main control board, it would seem to indicate a sensor fault. Usually they have some sort of built in diagnostics and by some means report the fault. Have you tried clearing the water pressure sensor pipe and checking that the switch clicks when you blow into it gently?

It should be a thin pipe (6mm or so) with the sensor mounted close to the top of the machine with wires on it. It might just think it hasn't achieved a correct water level - so it stops.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've blown down the pipe to check it's clear (seems to be) and blown into the sensor to check it clicks (it does).

Some more info now I've done some more playing:

The new circuit board definitely improves matters. With the old board the thing just sits locked up in the last program I ran. With the new board I can cancel a program and start a new one (although all it will do is fill and heat). The control board getting stuck in a program does seem to be a bit of a common problem for this model, so I suspect the new board is required.

However, there's still obviously some other problem which is causing it still to hang with this new board.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Piers Finlayson brought next idea :

Not with regard to this make or model (though it may still be applicable) - I often read that faulty motor brushes can cause syptoms like this. The motor can operate, but the control board decides the brushes are failing and shuts it down.

Worth a check?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That does match symptoms I've seen reported for Indesits refusing to do anything. I've removed the brushes and if it's not them causing the problem, it soon will be. I'll replace and see if that fixes it.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

And, indeed, new brushes have cured the problem. Thanks Harry for the suggestion.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson