Incontinent Washing Machine

Hi All,

My washing machine leaks a small amount of water after each wash. I've pulled it out and checked the connections and there is no evidence of any leakage from the inlet or outlet hoses. The water appears on the floor in front of the machine about an hour or so after each wash so I presume the seals are ok around the door. Before I get an engineer out to fleece me has anyone got any suggestions about what I can check/try myself first?

Thanks

Reply to
Endulini

The make and model might help...each has its weaknesses.

I'd first suspect the door seal...the flappy bit in between casing and drum. Is it perished/cracked? The water might just collect in there and then slowly leak out.

I still have a leak of that kind..I suspect the seal round the heating element, which is a bugger. Plan to do that in a couple of weeks...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Endulini

The message from "Endulini" contains these words:

Replace the seal. They're dead easy to do. Open the door and examine the seal carefully - you'll find how it's held on after a few moments - often a wire lasso retained with a small screw through a loop in the end. Once you've released that you'll be able to see how the rear of the seal is held to the drum - usually a plastic clamp with a screw to hold it tight. Remove the seal, fit a new one (less than a tenner from your local appliance shop, usually) clamp to the drum, tease it out round the hole in the door and fit the outer clamp and you're done. Less than half an hour, and if it all goes wrong you're no more out of pocket than if you'd called the bloke in the first place.

However...(you knew that was coming, didn't you!)...it may not be the front seal. Mine's got a habit of leaking from the seal between the two halves of the outer drum and that's rather harder.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Endulini wrote

An incorrect washing powder unsuited for a machine? On some machines detergents/soap that produce a lot of suds result in some of liquid contents of the drum coming back out of the detergent/soap dispenser. Is the water on the same side as the dispenser?

Reply to
Alan

Go to the library and borrow the Haynes washing machine book. All the obvious stuff is in there.

It's most likely the door seal though. There's usually another couple of big rubber hoses connecting the drum to the pump and they can split with age too. It may even be a blockage rather than a leak and water emerging via the soap trays.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think you mean AEG.

I had a leak on mine recently, the first time it was cleared by dismantling the pump and cleaning the seal around the shaft. It recurred about 6 months later, requiring a new pump.

Reply to
<me9

I have the same make(AEG OKO_LAVAMAT), and it was the pump leaking on the spindle

Got a new pump off eBay, solved!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

|Hi All, | |My washing machine leaks a small amount of water after each wash. I've |pulled it out and checked the connections and there is no evidence of any |leakage from the inlet or outlet hoses. The water appears on the floor in |front of the machine about an hour or so after each wash so I presume the |seals are ok around the door. Before I get an engineer out to fleece me has |anyone got any suggestions about what I can check/try myself first?

Are you putting too much soap/detergent in the machine, so that it fills with suds when working, which come out of the overflow. The best amount of suds is to have a thin line on top of the water when washing. The manufacturers of soap powders recommend an amount which will maximise their profits.

Pull it out and do a wash in the middle of the floor where you can observe the back and sides, to see where the water comes from. Keep your hands clear.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

My Hoover (six?) washing machine had these symptoms. Turned out there's a rubber tube that goes from the top of the m/c to the bottom that had come loose from its (rubbish) mountings, and was rubbing on the drum as it moved. Eventually wore a hole in the rubber tube. Failed after 3 yrs. Replacement was =A312. Will never buy a Hoover applicance again. (They also consistently come out worst in Which magazine's reliablility surveys)

regards, Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

If you do indeed get the small leak after every wash, you could rule out the above (which I agree is a possibility) very simply, by doing a test wash using no detergent at all.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Or something stopping the pump from working. We had that twice.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which has never asked my opinion. Our Hoover Logic has done sterling service since 1988, it has several times of use and abuse a week.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Bring back the Keymatic!

Reply to
Guy King

Ensure the dispenser drawers and syphon arrangements + pipes aren't blocked up with congealed detergent/conditioner materials etc.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^