Incoming Electric Supply

Hi,

This is my first post to this group, although I have managed to rescue many disasters in the past by searching for an answer!

This is the first time I haven't managed to find a solution so here is the problem:

The house is a Victorian middle of terrace and I am now redecorating the hall.

After removing one of the skirting boards, I've found that the incoming power supply cable is teed from the house next door and enters our house from behind the skirting board and then goes underneath the floor to the fuse box.

Will it be OK to just put the skirting board back on the wall on top of the cable?

If not, what else can I do?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Gake

Reply to
Gake

Well, the skirting board was already covering the cable, and for how many years we don't know. So, it should be OK to replace the skirting board over the cable, just as long as you don't bang nails and things through the cable when you do.

Reply to
BigWallop

IMHO, yes. The cable will be an armoured type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On a similar topic I was rewiring a friend's telephone system in his 1975 built house. The incoming BT pair were behind a blanking plate just above skirting board level, about 10 ft inside his hallway. The other side of the wall is his neighbour's hallway, so how the good old GPO managed to stick the cable there (before the foundations were laid ?) I don't know. Both conductors are also lacking their overall sheath as far down into the gloom as I could see.

Reply to
Mark Carver

It might only be PILC (paper insulated lead covered) Depending on age of course. "Quite" tough but needs respect!

Is it at risk of someone driving a nail into it if the skirting board is replaced?

Reply to
John

Thanks for the replies.

The cable is armoured and is about 500mm from the front door, so shouldn't think any nails will be used there.

Everything mentioned reinforces my first idea - put the skirting board back and forget about it!

Cheers!

Reply to
Gake