Inaccessible joint

Hi

I have a joint on chipboard furniture that allows no means for dismantling, but dismantle I must. (Its as good as useless if I dont dismantle it.) I'm pretty sure it consists of 2 dowels, glued in so its not easily dismantleable nor is it accessible. When reworked this joint will be visible inside the drawer, so I resisted the temptation :)

So how do I get this apart? My first attempt was flexing, but if I do that Im going to break 3 more joints too, and inevitably rip the white finish off as well :( Basically the finish has been applied over those

3 other joints in an all round wrap.

I just managed to get a wallpaper knife blade in the slight crack, but the blade broke before it got anywhere. A sub 1mm saw would proabbly work, but I aint not got one, nor have I ever seen said beast.

Tried hammering the joint apart as hard as I dare... nothing.

Any ideas?

I've just had one! Its an L shaped joint, where side of drawer meets drawer front. I could drill into the side of the drawer side in such a place that I drill through the dowels, and rebuild with those square plastic blocks, theyll cover the holes. Yep, will try. Thank you :) If you have better ideas I'm all ears!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

For a very fine saw try a model making shop , from childhood memory they were called razor saws ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I assume there are no large philips screws nearby, usually on the outside of the draw? These are used to catch a metal post screwed to the draw front.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

will look into that, ty.