In line puch down Krone coupler for Cat5E - any "gotchas"?

My wifi runs at 600+ megabits a second so 100 megabit ethernet is a bottleneck.

I dare say others will also have fast wifi even if you don't.

Reply to
dennis

The wifi may be connected to other things like NAS boxes too. Maybe TNPs linux boxes can only manage 100Mbs so he doesn't know?

Reply to
dennis

Yes it can be. Although even 100M Ethernet can be faster than wi-fi if a number of devices are talking to each other as they are not sharing the bandwidth. Each 100M data stream having its own separate bandwidth, as long as multiple devices are not all trying to talk to the same one.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, but I have three 5Gig access points.

Only gig ethernet so that is a potential bottleneck here.

Reply to
dennis

To me you appear to be saying: "I have three 5GHz access points and only 1Gb/s Ethernet" the first is a measurement of radio frequency and the second is one of throughput.

Reply to
Graham.

I found I had problems where I had pre-cut cables and made up looms - then found there was an obstruction under a floor to detour around.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did wonder that... Although the latest 802.11ac does in theory go up to more than Gbps speeds when using multiple antenna, MIMO, and beam forming.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've only been able to approach the speeds my wifi is allegedly capable of when I am close enough to use an ethernet cable anyway...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would be happy with a reliable 6 meter range at more than 5Mbps

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need the 5g access points to get 1200 Mbs. you can't on 2.4G.

Reply to
dennis

You don't need MIMO or beam forming to get 1200Mbs. You do need channel width that isn't there on 2.4G WiFi.

Beam forming can increase the range though. It also helps if you have lots of access points and clients in a small area.

Reply to
dennis

Currently 866.7 Mbs and I am effectively in the garden (conservatory) so double walls and a fridge between me and the access point about 5m away.

Reply to
dennis

Yup, the mimo and beam forming get round the typical limitation of previous wifi setups where the peak data rate was in effect shared between all users. Now you can have multiple users each getting a high data rate, even in cases where the total overall throughput exceeds the single channel peak.

Reply to
John Rumm

I surprised myself by discovering that when I originally installed the Cat5e I left enough spare cable to allow me to move the socket across the room without having to join it.

Memo to self - always leave some spare cable!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David