Improving loft insulation

"A" framed type loft, so I can walk front to back just about standing up. The whole centre section has been boarded which is nice but messy to change.

The roof line slopes so that it is near impossible to get to the edge, beyond the main beams, at least not without lying down. These areas are not boarded and there is some of the old style rockwood/fibre type insulation, but not everywhere.

I certainly can add more to the edges, what is the most effective to get? Something like

I have to say that seems expensive.

I do store stuff, currently on planks. Are loft storage stilts a good buy? Again seem expensive (oh, 12 pack, that's better :) )

A roofer noted that there was no provision for roof ventilation and there was some interstitial condensation so I agreed to roof tile air vents, 3 on either side, which appear to have sorted the issue at the expense of the attic being cooler.

Suggestions welcome for cost effective methods to help keep the bills down.

PS what is the minimum temperature you run your property at. I'm finding 18degC a bit cool and 16degC definitely cold unless wrapped up for outside.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Can you get regular rockwool in there? Eg roll it from the centre, or push it with a broom? Presumably you don't have soffit vents in that space so can push it right up to the edge.

Rockwool will be cheaper than other kinds of insulation, unless you have a good reason for needing to use something fancier.

They do nothing you can't do with timber, but they're quicker to fit. Up to you really.

If you have the headroom, a raised platform with 270mm rockwool underneath is cheaper than keeping the boarding in place and fitting fancier insulation underneath.

Ventilation is important as you add more insulation. As you add it, the loft will get cooler as you leak less heat into it. If you have a humid unventilated loft it may start getting condensation as the temperature drops because you insulated it more.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Multifoil is junk. Stick to fivreglass/rockwool Stilts are money wasted, use wood offcuts

Reply to
Animal

As a cold insulation it is rather poor. It is more effective in southern med countries where keeping the heat (and long wave radiation) out is it's primary purpose.

Reply to
Andrew

Does it work for Medium Wave? Bill

Reply to