Import duty - naive buyer

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

We have a net trade deficit so they would be cutting of their noses to spite their faces. Although as the Commissioners couldn't give a shit about the citizens of the EU maybe we can't rely on any common sense.

Reply to
bert

And a little bit more successful.

Reply to
bert

Presumably getting blind drunk at every opportunity, like Maggie did when she got the bums rush.

Reply to
Blanco

In article , NY writes

I think what was most disappointing that for such a major issue Cameron asked for so little in terms of fundamental change. Tweaking a few benefits and asking for less red tape is hardly fundamental change. For example EU should have no tax raising powers over nation states Net contributors should have a veto over any financial matters Eurozone countries voting en-bloc should only count as one vote No funds which receive contributions from non-euro countries should be used to bail out the euro Stop this nonsense of moving the European Parliament every six months Freeze the EU budget at 2015 levels until all the outstanding annual accounts are properly independently audited and signed off. This would apply to all budgets in future. National courts should have supremacy in criminal law. The Common Agricultural Policy should be scrapped and a new formula for supporting agriculture should be introduced Free movement of people should be free movement of workers and even so must be controlled or limited between countries of widely divergent economies. ETC ETC. Discuss. Feel free to add more.

Reply to
bert

The concept of Europe as a continent is not the same as the concept of European citizenship for those whose nations are part of the EU. Trying to be a smart arse doesn't advance your argument one iota.

Reply to
bert

In article , Tim Streater writes

We're actually "subjects"

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

We don't have a written constitution which has its advantages as lawyers can't earn a fortune wrangling over interpretation.

Reply to
bert

Can't afford the air fare. At least with poland he can jump in the back of a truck going back there for nothing.

Reply to
Blanco

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Working hours are not being increased. If junior doctors continue in their current vein they will IMO arrive at the same level as teachers in the view of most people.

Reply to
bert

Well I'm not happy about the prospect of large multi-nationals suing my government.

Reply to
bert

In article , Blanco writes

But Labour lost more seats than UKIP did so they must be in a catastrophic downward spiral. The joys of statistics.

Reply to
bert

Didn't say that in SWMBO's passport and it hasn't in mine for 20 years and more. It says "British Citizen".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes we have. It's just not all written down in one place. I gave examples earlier of things that are considered to be constitutional documents. Take a look at the English Bill of Rights 1689 f'rinstance and you'll see a lot of text that has made it into constitutions of other countries.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The "stay in" side seems to consist only of smart-arses.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So everything the EU spends should be entirely voluntary contributions eh ?

That's never going to be viable.

And neither is that.

Even sillier and much more impractical than you usually manage.

Makes more sense to change the existing one.

Completely unviable when so many of those who move do that in retirement.

Impossible to implement.

IMO the main one that really matters is that unelected bureaucrats decide on EU policy and the only thing the EP can do is kill it completely if enough think it stinks. The EP can't even propose new policy, all it can go is vote for or against what some unelected bureaucrat proposes. The EP doesn't even get to decide who those unelected bureaucrats are.

Reply to
Blanco

Bet they never do, if only because they are a lot more important to most people than teachers will ever be, if only in the hospital ER etc.

Reply to
Blanco

Hardly surprising given that UKIP went into the election with just two.

And they lost half of theirs. Labour didn't.

That only happened after they were actually stupid enough to go for that completely unelectable fool Corbyn.

Reply to
Blanco

You might want to take a look at this -

in which 'citizen' and 'subject' are defined. They are not the same thing.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed. The law changed in 1983, IIRC.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes. My 1986 passport (last proper, blue, one), says "British Citizen" under "National Status".

My 1976 one says "British Subject: Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies".

Reply to
Tim Streater