Immersion heater: thinking of doing away with it.

I'm thinking of doing away with the immersion heater in my bathroom, and getting a power-shower in its place. I'll also have to get a small heater for the wash-basin.
I'm wondering if the power supply to the immersion heater will be suitable, or if this will have to be replaced? It is on its own circuit-breaker.
Any views on the merits of this? The main reason is to give more space, perhaps for a separate shower.
--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
On 24/07/2015 16:49, Tricky Dicky wrote:

20A is only ~5kW, which isn't nearly enough for a shower. 7kW is about the smallest you can get IIRC, but that's a bit of a dribble. A 10kW (40A) shower is more reasonable.
Cheers
--
Syd

Syd the OP is talking about running an instant heater for a wash basin not a shower. Mind you the current draw could be similar to an electric shower hence the comment about current draw and cable sizes etc.
Richard
On 24/07/2015 17:13, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I'm thinking of doing away with the immersion heater in my bathroom, and getting a power-shower in its place. I'll also have to get a small heater for the wash-basin. </OP
I think you misread it and by 'power-shower' I think the OP meant instant heat electric shower. But you may be right.
Cheers
--
Syd

If he has hot water storage for the pumped shower why can't he use the same source (un-pumped) for the basin hot tap?
Unless he *does* mean an electric shower after all, in which case he will need a new cable to the CU.
Over to you OP.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Syd Rumpo wrote:

That is what I meant. I guess that would mean a new wire back to the CU, which would be rather expensive in my case.
--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
On Friday, 24 July 2015 23:50:53 UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Yes, unless you can use a low power unit. Last shower I measured was using 3kW in summer, 4kW in winter, and that should be no problem on an immersion feed. I don't know if you'd need to look at non-shower heaters for that.
NT

Apart from hand washing units, where can you get such a low powered shower? My experience of one rated at 7KW was that it could only be described as "barely adequate".
Tim
On Saturday, 25 July 2015 14:17:30 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Caravan suppliers possibly, intended for use on a 13A / 16A supply.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Portable-Electric-Hot-Water-Heater-Shower-System-Instant-CARAVAN-CAMPING-/251593017367
Come complete with chinese lettering and australian plug :-)
Owain
On Saturday, 25 July 2015 14:17:30 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

then I guess that's not what you want :) There are a few ways to reduce shower power with it still feeling good: aeration, pressure, drain heat exchanger.
NT

Drain heat exchanger?? To recover feck all heat from a 3kw shower? I trust you've costed this out and can point us all to a suitable device that's already available?
Tim
On 26/07/2015 16:03, Tim+ wrote:

I'm not so sure it's a bad idea. After all, the water is mostly falling on a warm body. Consider the difference between summer and winter in a 7kW shower.
You'd need some good active flow control to maintain a constant temperature, and you'd start off with a dribble before the heat exchanger started working. Perhaps also a proportion of the water could be recirculated as long as you don't have the habit of pissing in the shower.
But it's probably not worth it where power and water in shower quantities are cheap.
Cheers
--
Syd

Oh in theory it may not be a bad idea BUT bear in mind the the "hot" water dribbling out of this 3kw shower will have given up most of its heat to the air before it ever hits the drains. If you can actually find a unit on sale in the UK you're a better googler than I. The only ones I could find don't seem to be on sale any more (I wonder why?) and mention a minimum flow of 5L/min.
As a way of improving a shower it must surely be *way* down the list of realistic options. One Dr Drivel would be proud of though.
Tim
On 26/07/2015 17:52, Tim+ wrote:
<snipped>

I think normally most of the heat is given up to the tray. Certainly your feet still get warm water some 2m from the shower head, in any case your body is around 37C.

I did look a few years ago in case it was patentable, and found a granted US patent but no commercial units made.
> The only ones I could find

Just not worth it - a few kW for a few minutes is a few pence, and the flow control would be quite complex with the fairly rapidly changing input temperature.

Cheers
--
Syd

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 18:29:32 UTC+1, Syd Rumpo wrote:

3.5kW at 15p a unit for 10 minutes each per day x 4 people = 2.33kWh/day = 851kWh pa = £127 a year, or £3,810 per 30 year install life. 7kW wuold be 1700 kWh pa = £255 pa or £7,620 per 30 year install.

there is no flow control. And afaik showers normally remain the same temp t hroughout. At least I've never known anyone vary the temp much as they show er.
NT
On Sunday, 26 July 2015 18:29:32 UTC+1, Syd Rumpo wrote:

3.5kW at 15p a unit for 10 minutes each per day x 4 people = 2.33kWh/day 851kWh pa = £127 a year, or £3,810 per 30 year install life. 7kW wuold be 1700 kWh pa = £255 pa or £7,620 per 30 year install.

there is no flow control. And afaik showers normally remain the same temp throughout. At least I've never known anyone vary the temp much as they shower.
Best stick an extractor fan in to fuck up the calculations then.
--
Adam

On 26/07/2015 21:54, ARW wrote:

Most electric showers I have come across, bar some very upmarket ones, regulate the flow. Therefore the outlet temperature is dependant on inlet temperature for a given heat setting. That is why the dial might be set to "3" in the Summer and say "7" in the Winter.

Quite!
On Monday, 27 July 2015 01:18:55 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

day

with a DHE it'll be on a lower power setting. So what?

Makes sod all difference. Even if it did hypothetically, can you not set th e temp knob as desired?
NT

DHE?