Immersion heater

Hi

I've a problem with my immersion heater. It seams that no matter how long I leave it on, the water only manages to get to luke warm. I've changed the stat and it's the same. Many thanks for any help!

David

Reply to
davidgladwin

Hopefully, you're rotating your stat adjuster Anti-clockwise to result in a higher water temp? That's how my 2.7kW immersion heater stat was designed! If you are in a hard-water area, is your cylinder rather full of limescale? Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

OK so you are satisfied there is power to (230/240 volts ACROSS) the element. There is only one other thing in the chain ergo the element. Around ten to twenty pounds plus fitting

Reply to
John

I would now be tempted to measure the resistance of the element.

17-20 Ohms would be about right. And the resistance to earth!
Reply to
Ed Sirett

then your stat is set too low. Modern stats have a preset secondary safety stat thats set quite low,and it may be too low for your system.

Leave you to work out the solution.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Lukewarm is unlikely to be within the setting range of the stat. I bet the element has burst inside the cylinder. Eds measurement idea is best to start.

Reply to
John

A faulty one may be. Theyre prone to charring and coming half apart, since they both switch frequently and run hot.

But that would make the backup stat situ irrelevant, if its literally lukewarm. I had assumed it was warm, just not hot enough, but maybe not.

And is lukewarm only from a little remaining heat? Makes sense.

Really though, folk need to measure and find out, we cant be sure either way. The OP can use a multimeter to check R of both element and stat. Stat should be zero, or at least

Reply to
meow2222

I replaced the whole unit and it's OK now. Not that competent with multimeter so didn't test!

Thanks for the help!

David

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Reply to