Ikea stock availability - advice please

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Ikea in Glasgow this weekend, from Ireland, to furnish my new apartment.

I have been pooring over the catalog and the website in the last few weeks, and have selected a number of possibles and probables. Today I have been looking up the stock availability on the website. One or 2 products that I was looking at previously now are not listed on the site at all. In particular, one bed, which did form the centrepiece of the beds section of the site is replaced by a link to the homepage.

Is this a technical website problem, or has this product been discontinued?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ronan

Reply to
Ro

You are never likely to know. The IKEA computer is total crap at stock control, just like the stores. The only way that you can ever really find out is to go there in person and pull it off the shelf. The catalogue and website contain only some of the stock, so other products can be available eg, the daybeds, which are not on the stocklist or catalogue but are in the stores. If you phone IKEA and ask, you cannot believe the answers. Sorry if this is bad news, but it's the real world experience. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Ditto. Only once out of some 20 trips to my, thankfully, local IKEA have I managed to get all the items that I required :-( Call the store the day before and ask them put all the items to one side - they will do this for one day only in my experience. Previously they have only offered me this service for fast selling items but I'm sure that they will do it if you explain your situation.

Keith

Reply to
Keith D Pipex

Ditto.

Personally, I think the place sucks.

Reply to
Huge

Ditto, and our local Ikea wouldn't put an item to one side, even when I offered to pay for it in advance. "We are a cash and carry store. We don't do that." Just about sums it up. Fortunately our local store is only a mile away*, but we had visit 5 times before we managed to find a recent item we wanted, in stock. Wouldn't bother with them if they were further away.

What I can't understand is just how busy the place is, all the time. We've tried various different hours, days, times of the year, and the place is still packed.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

I think it's OK if you are intent on furnishing a DIY facsimile of a Swedish Jail.

DG

Reply to
derek

Generally I'd agree but the storage units are just too useful and cheap to ignore. Billy bookcases and Benno CD towers 'hidden' away upstairs can be very practical. They also seemed to be the only place I could find that sold units big enough to house my Home Cinema amp behind glass doors.

Keith

Reply to
Keith D Pipex

Can I recommend Ikea in Zurich (Switzerland), there are 2 to choose from, about

30% less than Ikea in UK. If you are traveling to shop why come to RipOff Britian ?

The system is a bit different, you choose your stuff, pay, then collect by car from the warehouse, a bit like MFI used to be.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Never goto IKEA when its raining ..........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Same thing here, in both London stores. The store can even tell you its in stock and it is, BUT its on the top rack of shelving and they "can't use the forklift until the store closes, can you come back tomorrow? we'll give you 50% off" !!

As several people were affected last time this happened to me there was one helluva row, nearly a sit-in, until a manager authorised the use of the forklift... mind you we had been in the store >4 hours at this point. I'm never going to use them again until they open a store within 30mins of where I live. Never, ever make a special trip to Ikea you'll be wasting your time.

Reply to
BillR

I had quite a successful visit to Ikea in Glasgow. I bought furniture for my new apartment, about 3500 pounds worth, and all of it was in stock. I had to call back the following day for one item, but it was on the shelf at 10 am, as the staff said it would. I found the staff very helpful, and in particular the kitchen designers.

The store was not too busy, except for Sunday, but even then it was not too bad.

All in all, it was very successful.

Reply to
Ro