IKEA kitchens - experience anyone?

I've installed several Ikea kitchens.

One problem is they are designed for forrin. And in forrin all pipework is channeled in to walls with service points installed about where the sink/dishwasher etc would be. In the UK this is rare and pipes usually are run on the surface.

The actual construction is very good, particularly the steel/stainless units which I've used in a commercial kitchen. Just as good as the catering units and a fraction of the price.

The only items that I have been disappointed with are the Ikea worktops. Every one of them has been of dreadful quality. The wooden ones split and the chipboard ones aren't waterproof. Not even if you carefully coat every single exposed edge with waterproof paint or sealant. Also the ones with "metal" trim use some substandard glue for the trim and after a year it falls off, then water gets in, and the worktop is ruined.

Shop elsewhere for worktops.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just installed some Ikea units to replace some crap B&Q stuff. The units are great, but beware the buying process. Unlike everything else in Ikea, it proceeds as follows:

  1. Decide on the units and fittings you want. Either in store, or by reading the website/catalog beforehand. (So far so good).
  2. (This is the first unusual bit) Find somebody in the "Kitchens" department and tell them what you want. They then print out a long list for you.
  3. (This is /slightly/ unusual) Pick up some of the smaller bits (eg draw dampers) direct from the kitchen display area. (You do have a big yellow bag, don't you?)
  4. Head to the warehouse and collect all the carcasses from the locations indicated on your piece of paper.
  5. (... and this is the /really/ unusual bit). Take your piece of paper to a service part of the warehouse (possibly before, possibly after, checkout - depends on the store). They will the go and fetch the door fronts from their fast selection.

If you have the choice, I would strongly recommend going to Milton Keynes, rather than Lakeside. My partner got trapped in Lakeside for four hours getting some of the kitchen - we were in and out of MK inside an hour and a half!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

What are Wickes 'to order' range like now - they used to be very good?

Reply to
robert

Don't know, but the 'take away' stuff is excellent & very good value.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman