Identifying SWA types

Passing on a question from someone posting to the wiki:

".....distinguishing between the PVC and XLPE is more of an issue for me when its already been installed as opposed to purchasing the cable. I do Testing and Inspecting on existing Electrical Installations and its not possible, alot of the time, to see any inscriptions on the cable .... for example ; cable size,PVC or XLPE? I just wondered if there was a visual or texture to the outer sheath which would differentiate between the two materials? "

I doubt there is any difference to the outer sheath, but anyone know a foolproof way to identify the insulation type?

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

XLPE generally has a not insignificantly smaller armour CSA (going by the Prysmian data sheets) but it might be difficult to verify without a micrometer on the individual wires. Although it's likely to translate into there being more wires in the armour on XLPE due to smaller wire diameter, assuming the circuit conductors take the same space.

Can anyone verify this hypothesis by inspection?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S