Identifying Cavity Wall

Well then, are you going to answer the question?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You are being a bit of a dick though. Cavity walls are generally widely regarded as not being a common method of construction much prior to the start of the 20th century. If you're stating otherwise, as you seem to be, then it's not unreasonable for people to ask you to back up your claims - which you have so far failed to do (I'm not saying you're wrong, because I honestly don't know - but you're not exactly taking steps to prove your right-ness).

Reply to
Chris Cowley

How would one do that? Providing a few house addresses proves nothing. There are many myths surrounding housing, especially historic buildings, this is no secret. There are whole industries based on some of the myths. If you think its 'being a dick' to say a myth is a myth, I dunno, but I dont agree.

And really its upto whatsisname if he wants to go read up or not, not my job to educate everyone, or theirs to educate me. He requested but AFAIK he hasnt paid yet. Sometimes I like to debate the issue primarily cos I like learning, or for social reasons, and sometimes its just not my interest or issue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It would prove that there actually are some old houses with cavity walls (although they might still be rarities).

But you made the statement that cavity walls in early buildings are not rare, and can't back it up!

Well, learn, then, don't perpetrate inaccuracies.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I know of an old stone built house on the moors above Newcastle that had cavity walls - interestingly the cavity was filled with heather so not only was the designer aware of the benefits of a cavity but also of the effects of air circulation in it. Unfortunately the building got dry rot into it - that one they didn't plan for - and as far as I know had to be pulled down.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

which doesnt establish what is being debated, and really is obvious anyway. Hence pointless.

thats right, I dont know how to do so easily, and am not interested in doing so the hard way. Youre in the same position, making a claim you have so far not found a way to back up.

Be happy to if you provide or point to something of more substance.

You only need read a Victorian building book to see cavity walls were a well established means of preventing penetrating damp, which was considered a problem on exposed sites, near the coast etc. Thats all I have for you.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can't do it *at all*, can you.

Nope. You stated that cavity walls in early buildings were not rare. You can't back that up. Not my problem - you are wrong, so just accept it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

My mum's house has part cavity wall construction. Built around 1888. The house has 4 storeys and a different construction on each. Lower ground floor is (inside to outside) single, narrow cavity, double. Upper ground floor is triple. Above that is double thickness. The wall thickness changes are accomodated on the interior face, most obviously on the stairwell at floor height.

The reason for the cavity appears to be damp proofing, as part of the lower ground floor is underground, being built into a steep hill. The cavity is present in all walls, though, including those that are entirely above ground.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle