I thought changing a washer was easy...

Hi,

does anyone know what's happpening here ? I'm trying to change a washer on a tap -- I disassemble the beast, take the stem out and reach inside and grab the top of the washer with some needle nose pliers and whip it out. I said WHIP IT OUT! Damn! It won't come out -- it will rise most of the way but the disk of the washer won't fit through the hole in the body of the tap (which accepts the stem assembly.

What is going on here? I checked the hot tap too, and it's identical

-- the washer's too big to remove. I looked to see if the tap was had for some reason a top section holding the washer in and that needed to be removed, but I can't see anything obvious.

I confused and don't feel "Tap 1 - Peter 0" is an acceptable result -- any idea what could be going on?

--Peter

Reply to
peter.cant

Some taps bodies are a little too small to take the standard washers. You might be able to get washers that are a bit smaller. If this happens to me I put the tap head (or even just the jumper) in the cordless drill and file the rubber away with a 2nd cut flat metal file.

To get the washer out you just need to grip the pliers well and pull. I suppose you could you a little detergent/shampoo to help the washer come out, but it'll also stop you gripping the washer!

If all else fails you might be able to get a stanley knife in to hack the washer - but watch out for bits going into the spout.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

It sounds as if the washer has spread in use as they often do, but washers are flexible so you should still be able to get it out with a bit of effort. But don't attempt to force the issue unless you are certain your replacement will fit. Energetic removal could leave the washer in too poor a shape to seal if refitted.

Reply to
Roger

Thanx guys, that all seems reasonable advice. I'll give it whirl.

--Peter

Ed Sirett wrote:

peter.cant