I think he overdid it taking that brick out...

They should have built it out of bricks. They never fall down suddenly, except in Manchester. And in NZ, when there's a slight earthquake. I love bricks - I use them a lot for paths and walls one brick high.

Reply to
MattyF

Are you sure that the problem wasn't they couldn't move the truck and could only adjust elevation and slew angle?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Looking at it again, you might be right, the way it "lurched" forward made me think it was being driven forwards, but I think it was just being extended/rotated/elevated after all.

All four wheels are off the ground whenever I see them play^H^H^Hraticing ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

At that point in the construction, effectively yes. It will have all the timber studwork and chip board, but no plasterboard fitted. These buildings are all timber construction.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know where this is, but it looks exactly like construction I see in California, where a brick building wouldn't last.

Timber is much cheaper and much better quality than you find here, although the board they use in construction looks like chipboard made with enormous "flakes" of broken up timber. This looks like it got to the stage of completed timber construction and external insulation, but probably has none of the plasterboard yet, so the rooms would all still be open framed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The fireman was interviewed afterwards about being on the ladder when it's moving and said they would only do that in a life or death emergency situation. He was shouting to the builder to wait until they moved it closer, as he was worried the builder was going to try and jump across to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I suspect he was also worried that, at that angle and extension, the ladder was probably working near its the limit for carrying a single man.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Why not, this a problem with earth tremors?.

Always seems to me that Yank buildings seem rather flimsy....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes. I've had people from California being amazed that our brick and stone buildings and garden walls last for centuries, not weeks.

They are flexible enough to withstand earthquakes, and weatherproof.

Reply to
John Williamson

My thought was that the firemen must be really pissed off at observers thanking God and Jesus and the Easter Bunny rather than the firemen who risked life and limb to rescue the worker.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Both constrained brick and reinforced brick are recognised earthquake resistant construction techniques.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

+1..

Couldn't have put that better myself;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Deliberately.

Yes, I was in Sun's building in Menlo Park during a 5.4 quake. There was lots of creeking, metal blinds crashing against windows, etc, but afterwards, not a single sign that anything had happened. Yet the same magnitude has demolished whole settlements elsewhere in the world. (That building is now Facebook's HQ.)

The only reported damage from that incident in the local Press by a day later was a false ceiling which partially came down in a shop, and caught fire where it landed on a furnace (american for warm air central heating unit).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've witnessed a small fire spread up three floors within 10 minutes in a similar constructed block (finished) of flats in the UK.

Reply to
alan