I LOVE THERMAL MASS

Outside: 36°C Inside: 28°C

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :

Outside 34.3C Inside 29.7C

SWMBO doesn't understand cooler with the windows and doors closed :-(

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Passive houses work both ways.

33Deg C 22Deg C
Reply to
harry

Dunno outside.

26 inside. And just had 30 seconds of heavy rain.

Think I might sleep in the (internal) bathroom - no solar gain, negligible outside air with the fan off.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Can't fault aircon, running on Solar generation ?

Reply to
Cynic

Used the 330w fan to help cool the place when outdoor<indoor. Nice. Shame I don't still have the 2kW one, not that that much blast was ever needed!

Spraying water on outdoor walls/roof helped a lot too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How do you get such a large temperature difference?

Outside was 33 C but even with a portable aircon unit running constantly I can only get the indoor temp down to 23 or 24 C.

Reply to
Pamela

Insulation, insulation, insulation and/or bury your house.

Reply to
alan_m

Here it was outside 38 c inside 26c. Still too hot and definitely too humid yesterday. The issue was of course that if you sweat in a humid environment where the air is already saturated, it does not work to cool you down. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :

Problem now, is that the thermal mass has gradually picked up energy over the recent hot days, so despite it being cooler outside, it is still hot and sticky indoors..

Outside 21.0C Inside 26.7C - even with windows open and blowing cooler air in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Outside -10 with windchill Inside +10, even with 30kW of heat

Reply to
Andrew

Not insulation. Thermal Mass.

te huge lumps pf masonry in my chinmneys and the huge cast concrete ground floor, all end up at the average tempearture beytween day and might. Around 26C

By day, draw the curtains and shut the windows. at night reverse that./

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ousode is 26 now inside is 27 with some solar gain,. Must replace those curtains

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Passive houses have both. Thermal mass and lots of insulation round the outside. I also have 100mm insulated shutters and doors.

Reply to
harry

Really useless advice to anyone living in the centre of a built up area where burglaries are commonplace.

Reply to
Andrew

Not much global warming there, then

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can tersditct that to the upstairs bedrooms

Of course if you arent there at night...who cares how hot it is?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

Both help.

Likewise here, plus a few tons of stone.

Ideally, for cool in the home - when the outside is warmer, close windows; when the outside is cooler, open windows. Problem is with closed windows it can seem stuffy indoors in hot weather.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

I minimised clothing, got out the big fans and used a hand spray filled with water on the two dogs. I took three showers cool during the course of the day and rather than drying off, allowed the water to evaporate. My final shower was to go to bed still wet.

To help cool the house, I added a large fan on the bedroom window sill, in front of the open window. Had it got much hotter, I would have broken my rule and been hanging wet sheets in front of a fan, to form an evaporative cooler.

My rule is no wet washing hung to dry in the house, except in the utility with the fan and dehumidifier running.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not if you have bars on the windows.

Reply to