I changed my Kitchen tap - now the water tastes awful !!! - Any Ideas

I reccently needed to replace our 11 year old kitchen sik tap with a new tap uunit and selected this one:

ever since the cold water drawn from this tap has tasted awful and not drinkable unless it is run for some time before filling the glass or kettle.

Any ideas why !!

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

Does the water look contaminated in any way when viewed in a glass?

What would you say the water tasted of?

Maybe there is some grease or something inside the tap?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I'm guessing you live in a hard water area and the last tap was scaled up inside :) I reckon it's the inside surface of the tap or the pipes, that you can "taste". Or possibly some leftover flux, sealant or lubricant is flavouring the water. If you do live in a hard water area it will scale up eventually and the problem should hopefully go away :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

You should have chosen a tasteless tap.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

>>> Unfortunately ever since the cold water drawn from this tap has

How long is "some time"? Could it be that the mixing is done at the tap end of the spout rather than at the discharge end - and that the spout remains full of water, some of which will have come from your hot tank? If so, you will need to run enough off to empty the spout before using it for drinking.

I suppose it *could* be that, even in the cold position, some hot water is coming through. If so, the taste would always be there, even after you have run it for a while. Have you got service valves on the hot and cold feeds to the tap? If so, turn the cold feed off and operate the tap on "cold" and see if any water comes out. If it does, that's your problem.

Reply to
Set Square