HW Cylinder Thermostat - not electrical

Years ago I recall that it was the practice to fit a thermostat on the pipes connected to the heat exchange coil on HW cylinders. This was a device a bit like a TRV but fitted to the 22mm pipeworkto the cylunder, (indeed I suspect the 3/4 " pipework in our case!).

Does anyone supply such a device today? I've done a lot of searching without success.

And before I have the virtues of Y & S Plans explained, please accept that the application of such a thermo valve will solve the problem we have in a holiday cottage. Lots of the plumbing is run inside walls and is a tad complicated. So the Thermo-valve may be the simplest solution. And, we'll switch the CH/HW off in the Summer and use the immersion! It is a holday place!

Cheers & Thanks Naffer

Reply to
naffer

A couple of years ago I made enquiries about one for my system but it's a Primatic cylinder so one cannot be fitted .I'm sure that it was a Danfoss-Randall one but it had another name ..Unfortunately I cant remeber that name

can I see it on their website ..

If I rember I'll get back to you.I'm also sure that Plumb Center had them listed

Stuart

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I nearly fitted one several years ago but opted for a motorised valve and a cylinder thermostat as I felt a strapped on stat would give better control. The switches built into the motorised valve switch off the boiler when the valve closes (unless required for C/H). I know you didn't want advice but I believed it was an easy solution and didn't need me to do plumbing close to the cylinder.

If the name of the valve comes back to me I shall let you know.

John

Reply to
John

In article , naffer writes

2nd home?, you'll be rich enough to swallow the ***66quid*** they want for this:
Terrier Belmont Cylstat 15mm, remote sense, calibrated for cyl use VB 1251 valve body with B 1801 cylstat remote head

Good luck finding a supplier but it does show that somebody still has them on the books.

Reply to
fred

Thanks, The immediate response suggests a simple powered valve and a Cylinder stat... but I'll go on looking!

Reply to
ephraim_pule

Thanks Fred, The Pegler unit is worh looking at.. thanks.

and about , "if you can afford.... " etc. Ouch, I accept the implied cricism.

However, the property is in the wilds, not in UK. Less than 1200 sq ft in total and I keep an eye on it for them.

When nobody is there, there's no energy use. And.... you couldn't really live in it as a proper home. Owned for 20 years and we've never got anyone to rent it, however cheap!

Cheers

Reply to
ephraim_pule

I fitted one back in the 1960's in my house at the time. The one I used was a Drayton Cyltrol - and was designed to fit 1" pipes (equivalent to 28mm today) in a gravity (i.e. not pumped) hot water system. I don't know whether they still make them - Drayton is now part of Invensys.

In effect, it was a TRV - designed to go in the return pipe, sensing the return temperature. When the water in the cylinder was hot, the return flow was also hot - and this operated the valve.

It's not suitable for a fully pumped system.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Further to my previous message, you can still get a Cyltrol - see

Roger Mills

In article , ephraim snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Sorry, I forgot the good natured winky, it was meant entirely as a joke :-)

If the heating medium is natural then I can understand it would be nice to keep the whole thing simple and without power but if any of the system needs power then maybe it won't hurt to put in a simple cyl stat & electric zone valve, certainly easier for spares.

Good luck.

Reply to
fred

They are probably difficult to get hold of, as a system relying on them would not meet current building regulations, due to the lack of a boiler interlock. (i.e. they won't turn the boiler off).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ravi was the name I was trying to remeber but I cant see it on the Danfoss-Randall site so maybe it is no longer made .It consisted of a TRV like device with a sensore strapped to the cylinder wall via a wire.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart