Hum From Cistern When Flushing

A month or so ago I started to get a noise when flushing the downstairs loo. It=92s a loud-ish hum that starts when the cistern is about half empty and lasts for about 5 =96 10 seconds. The hum stops if I turn on the cold water tap on the sink. (I=92m pretty sure both are fed off the mains.) The pipe inlet to the cistern also vibrates slightly while the noise is happening. When the cistern=92s empty I can make the noise happen for a few secs by lowering the ball c*ck to about half way.

I=92ve taken the top off the cistern and can=92t see anything obviously wrong. The cistern is probably about 10 years old. Any ideas?

Michael

Reply to
Michael D

A month or so ago I started to get a noise when flushing the downstairs loo. It?s a loud-ish hum that starts when the cistern is about half empty and lasts for about 5 ? 10 seconds. The hum stops if I turn on the cold water tap on the sink. (I?m pretty sure both are fed off the mains.) The pipe inlet to the cistern also vibrates slightly while the noise is happening. When the cistern?s empty I can make the noise happen for a few secs by lowering the ball c*ck to about half way.

I?ve taken the top off the cistern and can?t see anything obviously wrong. The cistern is probably about 10 years old. Any ideas?

Michael

My mother's was doing exactly that a couple of weeks ago when I visited. I dismantled the filling valve, cleaned the debris out and the symptoms disappeared. Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

If that doesn't work, fit a flexible in the supply pipework - that sorted mine out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had a go at cleaning it out, but it didn't really work as I couldn't get it back on properly. So I bought a new inlet valve & ballcock and the hum went straight away.

Michael

Reply to
Michael D