How to whiten a skull

I picked up a large roadkill roe deer a couple of years ago. I butchered it and froze the meat, and buried the skull with its antlers sticking up in my garden since it was a hot summer and the head was getting niffy after a couple of days.

I dug the skull up last week and it's perfectly cleaned and odourless, but what would be the best thing to turn the skull white, since it is a rather browny-yellow colour? I would like to bleach it and then wire on the jaw, since all the bits are intact. But I'm not sure if bleach would be the best thing to use or if it would damage the skull. Does anyone have any other ideas about a suitable cleaner?

someone

Reply to
someone

Can't help thinking of sun bleached bones in the desert. Leave it out in the sun (when summer comes)?

Reply to
Rod

That will do it, slowly, but ensure that it can always dry out quickly. Any bits that remain damp will go green.

Bleach won't damage the bones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

this is england remember, be better off taking it to the local tanning place and booking it for a few sessions :)

Reply to
gazz

someone wrote: Does anyone have any other

Googling "whiten bone" found recomendations for biological washing powder, and also this ...

is an "industrial strength" hydrogen peroxide based compound according to the blurb.

Reply to
Adrian C

Hydrogen peroxide seems to be the stuff

Owain

I think you can probably just boil it for a few hours in a bleach/water solution...

We've got a few nailed to the rafters in our garage - useful for dangling ratchet straps from ;-)

Reply to
Jules

150ml of a 6% solution from the local chemist should be enough. It doesn't need to be any stronger. Give the skull a thorough wash with weak caustic soda or washing soda first, wipe off the excess, and allow it to dry before applying the peroxide (preferably with a cheapo synthetic bristle brush). The whitening may not be apparent until it has dried completely
Reply to
Stuart Noble

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "gazz" saying something like:

Give it to a passing sixteen year old.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Dishwasher or caustic soda to strip the gunk off it. Hairdresser's strength hydrogen peroxide to turn it white.

If you whiten it, expect to have the teeth fall out. You can stick them back, but have a reference photo handy (or else there are a few good mammal skull sites on the web).

Reply to
Andy Dingley