how to soften plastic strip

I have a plastic strip, its a seal between a sliding shower door. I took it off to clean but cant get it back on as it has lost its flexability. Only other way is dismantling door which I dont want to do.

The strip has a couple of ridges that slide into a groove to keep it in place.

Any ideas on how to soften the plastic? I have tried hot water and also lubricating it to no avail.

Reply to
SS

Hair dryer?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I was thinking 'hot air gun', used carefully, at a distance, with (if necessary) something to deflect the heat from whatever is behind the plastic.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Very hot water (i.e. near boiling point) should work, and be safer for the plastic if not for you.

Reply to
newshound

I'd be inclined to move up to that only if necessary... too much scope for overdoing things I would've thought! I suppose it depends on the type of plastic but I've had success with a hair dryer on the type used for UPVC double glazing - indeed the first time I almost overdid it as I didn't realise it was going to be so effective!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Have you tried lubricating with washing up liquid?

One of the best tools for all sorts of applications is a hot air gun with a variable heat output. I'm always diving under the bench to get it out - everything from bee-keeping, melting hot glue wax, drying out metalwork before painting, and finally paint stripping.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Have you tried lubricating with washing up liquid?

One of the best tools for all sorts of applications is a hot air gun with a variable heat output. I'm always diving under the bench to get it out - everything from bee-keeping, melting hot glue wax, drying out metalwork before painting, and finally paint stripping.

Rob

Yes I have tried lubricating it didnt help.

Thanks for all the tips guys I am going to try the hairdryer later today and see how it goes.

thanks

Reply to
SS

Now sorted.