filling a crack, how to

On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling) I scraped it out to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2 feet long) I filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack. Should I just go over this with some more filler and then smooth or better to get a flexi filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Reply to
SS

Sounds like you're back to square one. Brush a little water onto it, just so its a bit damp, mix up a little filler, and wipe it along the crack with a finger, pressing to get it flat. Job done. Enlarging a crack only makes it worse.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Sounds like you're back to square one. Brush a little water onto it, just so its a bit damp, mix up a little filler, and wipe it along the crack with a finger, pressing to get it flat. Job done. Enlarging a crack only makes it worse.

NT

I've had success in the past by mixing Unibond (PVA adhesive) with filler (or cement), or, coat crack surface with PVA prior to using filler.

dfrog

Reply to
dfrog

you probably need to scrape plaster off, apply scrim, and replaster over.

Unless its a 90 degree joint, when decorators caulk may be a better bet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That does work to bond the plaster together its true, but can lead to discolouration when painted. Or rather visible changes in surface texture.

And the risk it will crack again in a slightly different place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most powder fillers I've tried just crack soon afterwards. A decent decorator's caulk is flexible and doesn't crack. But it shrinks. You'll need several applications to get a good result. If there's an easier way I'd love to hear it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yip redone it twice and tried a couple of options and still getting the hairline from shrinkage.

Will buy a tube of caulk. I assume I should scrape it out and then refill with caulk.

Reply to
SS

Yes. If you apply it in thin coats it dries very quickly. But be prepared to use maybe half a dozen coats.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)