how to install a cast iron gas fire?

I have bought a gas fire (with cast iron insert and wood surround) and need to install it in my victorian brick fireplace. The current hearth is pretty much rubble. What exactly do I need to do?

Do I need a proper hearth that sticks up 2 inches etc. for gas? Can anyone tell me precisely what is required for back filling etc. ("builder's rubble", "vermiculite"..?) Any other tips except "get a CORGI person to attach the gas pipe" :)

I have googled away but failed to find anything comprehensive for the UK. Is there a site somewhere for installing a gas fireplace?

Cheers, Raphael

Reply to
lesshaste